Spending money for a 5 year old??

Options
12346»

Comments

• Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pocket money for a 5 year old is crazy they can barely count. Let them be children for a bit longer!

How does giving them money stop them being children?
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I'm wondering if the school has some kind of tuckshop and that's why this has come up ?
    Pocket money at 5 seems a bit daft to me -some five year olds can't do the maths that is required yet.
    Welcome to your first experience of "But Mum *everyone else* does it/has it" ...you'll hear it again and again through the years but amazingly a little research usually shows "everyone" doesn't !! :D
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    Options
    i always got pocket money, about 50p a week, i think i got a 'rise' as I got older to £1, and just loved to save it haha! My biggest waste of £1 was a ride on a Bucking Bronco, mum and dad advised me against it, and after that I really made sure the £1 was well spent!!

My friends in their teens were getting allowances of £20-£50 per month, which we just could not afford, and I was desperate to start working, so started working on a little paper round with the help of my mum each week and it didnt half teach me the value of money! My friend to this day has not had a part time job and she is now 26...she has had handouts all her life.

I think it needs to get a balance between an amount of money given and learning the value etc.

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

• Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    As a kid I got sixpence which bought 1/2 lb sweets, so when I gave my kids pocketmoney 1/2 lb sweets would cost 50p so thats how I worked it out. ( I wonder what 1/2 lb would cost now for my grandsons pocketmoney) I think it's very important for your kids to learn the value of money and the consquences of their decisions. As for teaching them to help others, this should be something we show them by our actions to others on a daily basis don't you think?:D
    The latest newbie :confused: not sure what to do yet but watching carefully
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure