Large hole in wall - filling advice needed

Options
After reqiring most of the plaster has come of one wall, right back to the breeze block, we have a 'hole' that about 5cm deep x 6ft high x 1ft across.
I started using filler but it's to expensive/not solid enough on drying so, had a look about for alternatives and hoping somone who actually knows/has used these tell me if i should use;
sand cement mortar or Instant Concrete

x
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.

Comments

• The_Economist
    The_Economist Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you thought about getting bonding from a DIY store. Wicks is cheap. Fill the hole, then re-plaster area.
    If i could i would, but i cannot so i wont, but maybe one day i will.
  • woodbutcher_2
    woodbutcher_2 Posts: 747 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely dont want concrete on a wall and if you go down the sand cement route you need to buy plastering sand.There are several ways of doing it but each of them require that you finish off with a proper topcoat of plaster.You could stick a piece of plasterboard in the hole,then skim over or you could buy something called hardwall which is a backing plaster that does a similar job to render(sand and cement) which will need to dry before you plaster over.The second option will require you to buy two bags of stuff.The first option,you could buy a bag of plaster,use some to stick plasterboard to wall and the rest to skim it.This is a skilled job and if not done right will look a pigs ear.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure