Vents over windows wothwhile?

Options
Some double glazing has small sliding vents above the windows. Are these any use? They seem really small. Can you notice any airflow when using them? Would they be sufficient for a steamy bathroom?

Comments

• McAzrael
    McAzrael Posts: 917 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You shouldn't notice any airflow - they are known as trickle vents for a reason and are designed to refresh the air in the room slowly but constantly, reducing the spread of contagious disease. They will be of little use in a bathroom, and are normally fitted in what the building regs refer to as 'habitable rooms' and what the rest of us know as rooms which people spend time in. If you have them, leave them open. They will make no difference to your heating bill and might just make the difference between you catching or escaping the cold that is going around one day.
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We asked not to have them in our windows, mainly as ours are light oak and all the vents i've seen have discoloured and look awful after a couple of years. Our bathroom window has one small and one large opener, the small one is nearly always left open.
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Trickle vents are put in to mimic the draughty gaps in old-style windows - closing them could lead to mould and other damp issues. Good quality windows will have changeable vents, either for improved airflow or reduced noise (if you live somewhere windy).
    Any bathroom should have an extractor fan fitted to remove moist air.
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Paparika wrote: »
    Any bathroom should have an extractor fan fitted to remove moist air.

Why?

The only extractor I've ever had in bathroom was in flat I owned which didn't have a window:confused:
  • nalyo
    nalyo Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    extractors can be helpful to reduce condensation without having to leave the window open - as some people dont like the cool breeze! Back to the topic, I dont feel trickle vents are enough.
  • Bungarm2001
    Bungarm2001 Posts: 686 Forumite
    Options
    In my experience, trickle vents in a bathroom are a waste of time.

There is no real substitute for a good extractor as they suck air out without causing a draught. Soggy steamy bathrooms are a mojor cause of black mould in modern houses and to address this, I do believe that building regs now insist that an extractor is installed in all new bathrooms, shower rooms etc.

Trickle vents in other rooms are good as long as they aren't blocked up deliberately.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When we bought our new house all the windows had these vents. They caused tremendous drafts and we and most of our neighbours soon covered them with tape. Perhaps it is because we are in a 3 storey town house facing open fields. The dirt they brought in made quite large stains on the ceiling.
  • woodbutcher_2
    woodbutcher_2 Posts: 747 Forumite
    Options
    The reason for trickle vents is to negate the efficiency of double glazed windows which can be so efficient that they don't allow air flow like old drafty windows.This can lead to problems like mould growth and pilot lights going out on boilers.You can get more expensive acoustically shielded ones if you live near a noisy road for instance.They come as standard on most newbuilds now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure