advice re: out of date food purchase

Options
Popped into a Tesco Express tonight and bought some beef jerky with other items.

Got home opened the jerky and tried it, it seemed ok, then checked the pack and the date was best before 17th May 2005.

Just wondering what should i do next?
This site helped me save money, so thanks to all

Comments

• withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Take it back, ask to see the manager and in this case i would suggest you contact your local EHO, as your Tesco Express is clearly very badly managed.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • barbie_babe
    Options
    take it back sould not of been on shelve . kick up a fuss .sure some one else will come along soon and give you some more advice .
    :j
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    Options
    Ah Jerky not turkey. This item should clearly not be on sale and should be reported.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • helen21_2
    helen21_2 Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Options
    Feed it the kids, if they ok it will be fine for you :D

Sorry only joking :D the devil in me just couldn't resist :D

helen21
  • doobiedoo_2
    Options
    I will probably take it back sunday aft/eve and speak to manager then

would like to feed it to the kids but they wont eat it, and it was worth thinking about ...... jail time or kids time.......joking...... :)
    This site helped me save money, so thanks to all
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Is this beef jerky the stuff that's packaged on the Isle of Lewis (where I'm currently working)??

If so, the jerky actually comes from South America and just gets packaged here.

They sell it everywhere here and it's like chewing brown plastic at the best of times. It also costs the earth for what it is.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • BeatrixKiddo
    Options
    DoobieDoo,

I used to work at Marks & Spencer & they were so strict about out of date food (rightly so). As soon as an item was even nearing its SBD, we had to remove it from the shelves, as apparently stores get fined thousands for selling out of date food (so our dept. manager told us)!!!

Hope this helps,

BK
  • cookiemonster25
    Options
    shops get fined large amounts of money for doing this so its in their interest to keep you sweet, depends on whether you want to protect others of just get your money back...i would contact you EHO who will be very interested to talk to you
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it was just a best before date, then they are allowed to sell it, provided it's still edible. But, I'm pretty sure that there's a limit - over 4 months IS pushing it a bit.

Sarah
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Was it "BEST BEFORE" or "USE BY" ?

I believe 'BB' is ok to sell for how long I dunno - anyone?

'UB' Should not have been on sale and I would say instead of just telling Tesco, you should go back to the store see if any others are on sale, if they are, don't tell Tesco, instead ask environmental health to visit the store ASAP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure