We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Barclaycard increases BT fee

Options
Had a letter this morning from Barclaycard informing me that from 14/11/05 as well as increasing the APR to 17.9% for purchases and 21.9% for cash and minimum interest increasing to £1 from 50p,Barclaycard will usually charge a handling fee of 2.5% on cash,travellers' cheques,balance transfers or cheques.
This will be an increase from 2% for most customers.
A greedy man's bag is never full

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's going to hurt people BT'ing "smaller" balances, but did the letter also mention a removal of the current BT fee cap of £50?
  • urbanfrit
    Options
    That's going to hurt people BT'ing "smaller" balances, but did the letter also mention a removal of the current BT fee cap of £50?
    The cap is not mentioned in the letter so it looks like it is going.
    They only let you transfer £5000 at 0% anyway whatever your limit.
    A poor card is becoming even poorer for new and existing customers.
    When my 0% for 12 months deal comes to an end in March I will ditch them.
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    urbanfrit wrote:
    The cap is not mentioned in the letter so it looks like it is going.
    They only let you transfer £5000 at 0% anyway whatever your limit.
    A poor card is becoming even poorer for new and existing customers.
    When my 0% for 12 months deal comes to an end in March I will ditch them.
    So, a £5K BT that used to cost £50 @ 2% capped will now cost £125 @ 2.5% uncapped. That's a heck of an increase.

Even for "smaller" BT's, this card's only redeeming feature is it's 12 month duration.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For anyone of the 'life of balance' 0% deal the higher [£1] minimum interest charge could affect them too for a while as their carried-forward spending balance gets up to around the £80 mark
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    Are you on a special type of barclaycard deal?

I only ask as I've done a number of BT deals with them (@6.9% for LTOB) and never paid a fee....so theoretically this would mean a jump of 2.5% for me.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options

I only ask as I've done a number of BT deals with them (@6.9% for LTOB) and never paid a fee....so theoretically this would mean a jump of 2.5% for me.
    Have you checked the website recently? The current "Barclaycard Simplicity" 6.9% card (on BT's and purchases) has a 2% UNCAPPED fee according to the summary box.
  • urbanfrit
    Options

Not as far as I know.Got the card in March for the 0% for 12 months deal.
    Got charged 2% which was capped at £50.
    My brother has had a Barclaycard for years and has had the same letter.
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    Have you checked the website recently? The current "Barclaycard Simplicity" 6.9% card (on BT's and purchases) has a 2% UNCAPPED fee according to the summary box.

I think I must have the classic card.....that's the only reason I can think of beause I definitely have had no fee applied to any transfers that I've made and they've been at 6.9% (LTOB).....is this the offer that Martin mentions in his article?
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • alanprior
    Options
    I also received this letter and rang them today. I was put on to the loyalty department and after explaining I wasn't happy I was offered no rate rise on my account and £20 cash credited to my account to make up for the loss of Nectar points,
    This wouldn't have happened if I hadn't been aware of this site so once again thank you Martin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure