too many wardrobes!!!

Options
The house we are thinking of buying needs some general updating but there is one problem that has me stumped. Three of the bedrooms have built in wardrobes, and one of them has two lots, and there is also a separate dressing room with another 6 wardrobes! My calculation is that there are at least 14 double wardrobes and another 10 or so sets of built in drawers. Now I like storage as much as the next person and I don't own any wardrobes so it is useful - but there is just too much. It also makes it difficult to place furniture - two of the rooms have them built 'around' double beds. We have young children and don't want to fill the whole space with double beds for them but the rooms will look really strange with a single bed sticking out into the middle of the room, I'd prefer to put the beds against walls to maximise play space

So, the question: how difficult is it to remove built in wardrobes? I would imagine some decorating would be needed but is the wall likely to be damaged? Also, is it possible where there is a wall with a wardrobe/high unit/wardrobe combination, could just the high unit and one wardrobe be removed, or would the remaining wardrobe then fall over?

Finally, in one bedroom there is a sink unit. I don't trust the children with that - is it hard to disconnect?

Cheers!
Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
Overpayments to date: £3000
June grocery challenge: 400/600

Comments

• sethsgran
    sethsgran Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure about the sink but as for the wardrobes there SHOULD be minimal damage to the walls when you take them down also they will be independantly be fixed to the wall so shouldn't need each other to keep them firm in place. Not an expert but we have done lots of DIY and I usually am the design side of the team and work out the logistics of it all.
    Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    If you can easily isolate the water to the taps , sink is very simple to remove.
    Will have only 15mm pipes which can be cut and then capped.
    Choice of 'caps', easiest these days is the plastic push fit.
    A 30 sec job.
  • nalyo
    nalyo Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    i did the same job.....it was good fun and stress releaving!
    TOOLS
    Hammer, Block hammer comes in handy, crow bar, and screw drivers - pref electric, and a saw.

Id start by taking all doors off - making it lighter and then you should be able to BASH it to bits....You can saw odd bits off to make it managable to take down.

I had 2 rooms with fitted w/drobes and they were stripped and chucked away within a day.

Oh a helper is good to have at hand!
    Hope that helps.
    Enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills