Help please - moving & utilities

Options
Bibbitybob
Bibbitybob Posts: 843 Forumite
Morning all!

I received a call yesterday to say that I'm completing on the flat I'm buying next Friday :eek:

I want to set about starting to sort the utilities out but I'm getting myself into a right pickle now and wondered if someone would be able to help me make sense of it all.

Firstly - we are with Pipex on a BT line in the current house. I want to take the phone number with me and my ex (who is staying in this house) wants to change from Pipex to TalkTalk. I'm assuming we need to call BT and ask for the number to be transferred and a new number for this place, then the rest is just a case of leaving Pipex and starting a new contract elsewhere?

Secondly....Gas & Electric. My flat currently has a card meter because it was a rented property. I'd like to have this removed, but I'd also like to shop around for the best deal online. Is this possible? Or will I need to ring whichever company and ask them to remove the meter and then take whichever tarrif I can get over the phone? Can I do this before I move? Will I need to call the flat's current provider with readings or does the meter negate the need for this?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just getting myself into a right pickle trying to work it all out. Hope someone can help :o

(Also, sorry for the phone bit on a g&e board but there wasn't anywhere that both would fit)

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lets see if I can help

BT - Call BT and explain you are moving. Ask if you can take your current number with you. They may or may not agree to this - it depends how far you are moving.

Pipex/TalkTalk - I'm guessing this is broadband suppliers. Not really sure here, but your suggestion seems ok. I'm not sure how long it will take to get TalkTalk in your new flat as I would think you will need to have the telephone account set up there first.

Gas/Electric. You'll need to take over the current accounts with the existing suppliers first and then request a change. Changes can take 4-6 weeks to take place.
    In respect of the gas supplier, I would ask the existing supplier if they would change the meter for you as a condition of you becoming their customer. A bit of negotiation should mean you you get the new meter free of charge with any luck. Once you get the meter you want, of course you could then change supplier.
    If you have no luck with the existing gas supplier, try alternative suppliers to see if they would change the meter for free in reward for you giving them your custom.

You shouldn't change any accounts into your name until you become legally responsible for the property (i.e. completion day) else you could end up paying for someone else's power they've used. I don't think you'll get anyone to entertain a request to change the meter before then either. It could end up with you being with the pre-payment meter for a week or two before it actually gets changed.

When you call up the gas & electricity suppliers to take over the supply, I'm pretty sure they will ask for meter readings even if there is currently a prepayment meter fitted.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Catsmam
    Catsmam Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Bibbitybob wrote: »
    Morning all!

I received a call yesterday to say that I'm completing on the flat I'm buying next Friday :eek:

I want to set about starting to sort the utilities out but I'm getting myself into a right pickle now and wondered if someone would be able to help me make sense of it all.

Firstly - we are with Pipex on a BT line in the current house. I want to take the phone number with me and my ex (who is staying in this house) wants to change from Pipex to TalkTalk. I'm assuming we need to call BT and ask for the number to be transferred and a new number for this place, then the rest is just a case of leaving Pipex and starting a new contract elsewhere?

Secondly....Gas & Electric. My flat currently has a card meter because it was a rented property. I'd like to have this removed, but I'd also like to shop around for the best deal online. Is this possible? Or will I need to ring whichever company and ask them to remove the meter and then take whichever tarrif I can get over the phone? Can I do this before I move? Will I need to call the flat's current provider with readings or does the meter negate the need for this?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just getting myself into a right pickle trying to work it all out. Hope someone can help :o

(Also, sorry for the phone bit on a g&e board but there wasn't anywhere that both would fit)

Hi, hope this helps. I moved into my new house early April & took over the gas & electric supplier that the previous occupants had, I have now been in my house over 6 weeks & I am just getting my metres changed next week as you have to be a customer of any supplier (apparently) for at least 4 weeks befoe they will even look at changing the metres over.
    Lose Weight 24 proud member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport