Camping abroad

Options
I was thinking of taking my family camping abroad next year,(OH & 2 boys 2 & 4). I really want the weather to be good, and unfortunately you can't be sure of that in this country. Has anyone stayed any where really good? If so, what were the prices like? How long did it take to drive? What was near by to entertain the kids, eg beach? And any other great advice you can pass on.

My OH isn't keen on the idea of camping with the kids. He wants an All Inclusive holiday. Bless his heart, he has no idea how much they cost!

Thanks.

Comments

• budgetflyer
    Options
    castel Montgri on the outskirts of estartit |(costa Brava) is a fab site although its on a hill. Haven,keycamp,siesta,redcrest,beach club,club cantabrica,ferry travel club and lifestyle holidays all do pre errected tents or mobile homes there .You can get ferry inclusive deals,fly drive or accom only if you want to get your own low cost flights with the likes of ryanair to Gerona or Perpignan or Easyjet,bmibaby etc to Barcelona
    For a list of campsite tour ops go to
    http://www.budgetflyer.co.uk/holidayparks.html
  • in_my_wellies
    Options
    Hi, My husband hated the idea of camping and of going abroad so the children were quite grown up before we got there.

This sumer we went on a ferry to Bilbao. Although it is quite expensive out of term time there is a wildlife officer on board and he pointed out whales, dolphins, tuna, etc. We drove to the Picos Mountains - just over an hour. The campsite at Potes was an excellent base for the mountains. If you want beaches then the north coast is similar to Cornwalls best. Dozens of little coves to choose from. Some quiet, some buzy. Some flat, some with surf. We always managed to find a shady bit if we wanted.

From Potes it took an hour to the beach. On a couple of days we walked in snow in the morning and swam in the sea in the afternoon.

The weather is just like Cornwall during a good summer - not too hot for children but nice and reliable.

The campsite cost 24 euros a night and it had a swimming pool, restaurant, shop etc. This price is about average.
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • elvis_bloggs
    Options
    Happy camping. 1a-a12.gif

• stellagypsy
    Options
    We have been twice to Camping la Palombiere in Ste Nathaline, Sarlat which is in the GORGEOUS Dordogne. It is a top site, spotlessly clean, loads to do, 2 pools with water slides, good restaurant and excellent value. Sarlat is also beautitful, there are caves nearby, canoeing on the river, lots to see and do.

The first time we went we drove there from Dover in one day - it was a bit far really. The second time we stopped off near Paris at Berny Riviere (not far from Euro Disney). That was better as the journey was easier.

We booked with French Life, who we found to be very good value.

The weather is usually glorious, but it has been known to rain sometimes.

HTH, Stella
  • ioscorpio
    ioscorpio Posts: 2,360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    About 10 years ago I took my 2 teenagers on coach/camping holiday to the South of France for £39 each and we had a great time, my daughter liked it so much she stayed there and did not come back to take her A levels, which she was due to take a couple of weeks later.
  • jaymac_2
    jaymac_2 Posts: 1,740 Forumite
    Options
    If your children are still young enough not to go to school you can get some good deals in mobile homes before and after the school holidays. Prices include a ferry crosssing and can be as low as £200 for a week. Look at Eurocamp, Eurosites, Haven etc. Last time we went with Matthews Holidays and couldn't fault them. It's not exactly all inclusive but you OH might prefer it to a tent!
  • t3zza36
    Options
    hi iv been to saguli in salu ,me the misses & 4 kids drove takes however long u want it to really ,gr8 journey exellent sites to see in france,much rather drive than fly especially in france roads r gr8 stopover areas r fantastic.saguli site is right next to beach literally.we have also stayed at playa de pals which was absolutely lovely gr8 for kids & adults alike. 2 weeks ,fantastic time ,real family budget.
  • budgetflyer
    Options
    Sanguli is a fantastic site.Siesta do accom only,fly drive and coach tours there.
  • t3zza36
    Options
    yep agreed also haven there & harry shaw.
  • budgetflyer
    Options
    http://www.sanguli.es/en/Index.aspx
    You can also rent bungalows and mobiles direct. High season 2006 aprox £80-£120 per day dependant on accom selected which is very competetive compared to some of the tour opps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure