We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

fixing a hosepipe

Options
Poppycat
Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
I bought a hozelock easy wind

http://www.hozelock.com/watering/hose-reels/easy-rewind/compact-reel-2-n1-2415.html

Last March. I use it once or twice a week at most mainly to clean car. When I unwind it I often find over last few months that a kink develops and have to go back and follow the pipe to where the kink is.

Well yesterday one such week place as now got a small hole.

Its about half way so I dont want to cut it off, is there a easy way to repair it without cutting the pipe and loosing 50% ?

EDIT needs to be small like tape as the easy wind thing has a pipe guide on it and you just windup up the reel with a handle

2%27n1%20Compact%20Enclosed%20Reel-2415.JPG

I have had a hozelock garden hose for many years the last one was still going after 12+ years abet a bit faded, so I wonder if these are not as good as before as I think 15 months isn't long time

Comments

• katiel
    katiel Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    You could cut out the hole and then re-join the two pieces with a hosepipe connector, which you should find in most garden centres etc. I suppose it might get stuck in your rewinder though? And yes, I think the quality of the hosepipe sold nowadays is rubbish.
  • Poppycat
    Options
    Thanks but then I couldn't use the easy wind as it has a pipe thing into help wind/unwind

I was looking at perhaps tape. Mind you you woudl expect a Hozelock to last longer than this.
    katiel wrote: »
    You could cut out the hole and then re-join the two pieces with a hosepipe connector, which you should find in most garden centres etc. I suppose it might get stuck in your rewinder though? And yes, I think the quality of the hosepipe sold nowadays is rubbish.
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Easiest way it to plug the hole with a matchstick and bond it in place. It will expand when wet and seal the leak. I have done this many times and use silicone sealer as the bonding agent but i suspect a blob of superglue would do as well.
  • Poppycat
    Options
    I got some silicon sealant the other day funny enough for another job. I never find super glue any good.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow, great idea by alan, can't wait to try it now.
    I would have expected Hozelock to have lasted longer as well. I use the special joint you can buy as the best, then a small piece of copper pipe, a slot cut at each end and then rounded slightly, this can be wetted or a bit of vaseline and then the pipe forced on from each side, as long as you don't have too much pressure it will hold, you can put a clamp on either end if you have them, but then you won't get it on your reel.
    Last comes duct tape (must be a good one) although this won't last for long. I expect a bike puncture repair kit may work.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure