Loft & cavity wall insulation

Options
In a bid to reduce our soaring energy bills we have decided we should improve our loft insulation and install cavity wall insulation. We are both under 70 and do not claim any benefits so will not be able to receive this free but would we be eligible for any grant? Does anyone have any recommendation on where to start and who to contact? We live in a 4 bed detatched which is approx 8 years old. As a ballpark figure, what can we expect to pay?

Comments

• WobblyGoblin
    WobblyGoblin Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    We have just had our loft done (3 bed terrace). The cost for the insulation was £274. The rebate depends on your local authority I believe but you pay the insulator and then reclaim the rebate. I would contact your council and see what the rebate is and if they have recomended suppliers (which is what we did). We also asked them to put down some boards but they quoted about the same for a small area so I'm going to do that myself for a fraction of the cost.
  • ukwoody
    ukwoody Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    We did our thru a company called Miller-Pattison, one of the Uk's largest companies doing insulation. We are both in our 40's and the grant was apparently thru Scottish Power. We paid just under £300 for the walls and 12" in the roof. Apparently there are numerous grants and they just use which one is currently availlable. Must confess it's made a HUGE difference to our house.

Woody
    City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher:D
  • wannabemoneysavingstar
    Options
    Sorry been hiding in the background taking in all the info, you can actually get it cheaper than that. Try Affordable Energy, £149.00 in some part of the country.

• tallmum
    tallmum Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in a similar position - 14 year old 4 bed detached house and have just signed up for cavity wall insulation - cost £199. I get dual fuel from NPower who subsidise the cost (full cost would be ~£700) as part of govt initiative. (I changed energy supplier deliberately to access this level of subsidy as previous supplier, eon, would only subsidise to £400). Some local councils will provide rebates on top of this - but they do vary.
  • emujuice
    emujuice Posts: 930 Forumite
    Options
    hi, moving into a 3 bed mid terrace. Local (sheffield) council will subsidse so that loft insulation is £150 as is cavity wall.
    A couple of questions:
    The loft is not very big (14 foot by 22 foot) and has a single layer of insulation already - would it be cheaper for us to top this up ourselves? (ooo or hide it so that they come and do a thick layer then we add ours and it's REALLY thick!)
    Also with the cavity wall - the bottom floor of the house is a converted garage - it's now going to be our lounge, but the neighbors both still have garages - if these walls were cavity as well (is that likely btw??) - if the neighbours agreed, could we put insulation in the walls that join us to the neighbours?
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport