Gas and Electricity forcing the price down!!

kittenpea
kittenpea Posts: 215 Forumite
HI all not posted for a while

in light of the price rises ive now switched to 2011 price fix with npower, so my bill is enevitably going up!!

recently though i have invested in some money/energy saving measures of my own:

A ewbank ( I now only ever vaccum the house once a month)
a powerless mower and clippers for the lawns

can anyone else think of anything that they could use instead of using gas and electric to do stuff around the house.

ive thought of a power strip energy saving one that shuts off the computer components when you are done and also using the computer more for watching the tv because it has to be cheaper than the 50inch one in the front room.

Always switch off the standby when im done too
£2400 mb profit so far since 01/11/08

!!!!!!!!!I am a scrooge and proud of it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Buying new powerless or low energy goods only makes sense really if you needed a replacement anyhow as even if the device was more energy efficient or none at all as the case with ewbank it would take you a long time to recoup the money invested

Surely if you bought a 50" tv you may as well use it rather than use a tiny computer screen ie 17" etc
  • kittenpea
    I can't see how you can be telling me that the ewbank hasn't saved me any money it only cost £8.99 doesn't use any electricity at all and considering the prices are going up and up on electricity then there has to be a saving there surely. as with the mower that cost £30 must be able to recoup that over 3 years of expected energy rises!!!

• Poppycat
    Well I have no idea how much one cost, but even at £8.99 it would still take some time to recoup the money which you say you only recently got so I doubt its actually saved you money yet although it may in the long term. Vacuum cleaners only consume about 1500 watts at most most less and you dont use the vacuum cleaner a lot normally so probably a few hours a week at most

I was mealy implying about all goods that need replacing ie only buy when you need it as old one is very old or broken and go for low energy devices where possible when you do replace.
  • silps
    silps Posts: 223 Forumite
    Computer powersupplies are often rated at 300W so it might even be using more energy than your 50inch TV. What is the wattage of your 50in TV?

Switch all your light bulbs to energy savers which often sell 4 for a pound in the supermarkets.
  • kittenpea
    thanks but i have two young children who are very messy eaters and at home most of the day so the hoover was on most days hear. and i do only replace when necessary

• Poppycat
    Computers high spec ones with fast graphics cards consume much more than medium or low spec machines, many of them can't draw enough power from pci-e slot so draw current from the main power supply.

A medium spec machine probably uses about 250w or there about's its only when you use my cpu intensive programs that requires lost of cpu cycles or games that tend to use the power
  • Poppycat
    I used to use a brush pan and brush for kids when they were young.

I also use a special laminate pad thing to sweep the floor as its much easier than using a vacuum cleaner
    kittenpea wrote: »
    thanks but i have two young children who are very messy eaters and at home most of the day so the hoover was on most days hear. and i do only replace when necessary
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    silps wrote: »
    Computer powersupplies are often rated at 300W so it might even be using more energy than your 50inch TV. What is the wattage of your 50in TV?

Whilst I take your point.

Computer power supplies are often 500W or more as well, but that doesn't mean they are using anything like that amount of power.

My 450bhp Ferrari only uses about 50bhp when cruising at 70mph with Paris Hilton in the passenger seat.(same principle). I think it is a Ferarri and she told me her name was Paris Hilton!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure