black gloss masonry paint?

Options
Is there such a thing as black GLOSS masonry paint?
I have to paint some old stone cills, and want them nice & shiny.

I can find plenty of black gloss, but it all says "for wood & metal", and I can find plenty of masonry paint, but it all says either "smooth" or "textured". I bought a small tester pot and it was definitely matt & quite dull looking.

:confused:
SKIPS STONES FOR FUDGE

Comments

• hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had stone or concrete sills in a previous house and always painted them with whatever gloss we were using for the window frames.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is lost on me. Why would you have something made of stone and paint it in gloss paint (which itself is a bit horrific and shows every imperfection)

It does seem to be used outside by people who can't be bothered to buy a seperate pot of paint.

Black gloss shows dirt like nobody's business and there's a lot of dirt outside! I don't know about everyone else but I'm not generally in the habit of cleaing my outside windowsills. :confused:

Stone coloured masonry paint for what should be stone coloured objects I say.

(I haven't seen any gloss masonry paint, no.)
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Options
    if you can get hold of it , bedec msp paint is just the thing , i use it on the houses i paint all the time , https://www.bedec.co.uk
  • paintpot
    paintpot Posts: 764 Forumite
    Options
    You can buy black gloss paint for stone sills because I just painted some, it was like for like on a rented house so not my own choice Doozergirl!

I bought it from B & Q, a small blue tin and it's at a house miles away so can't check the make and I can't remember off the top of my head but it was definitely suitable for stone.
  • ukwoody
    ukwoody Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    The concept of the gloss paint around winodws and cills was new to me until I moved here to wales, where it is very common. Apparently, (so the local museum once told me) the idea was brought up from the Valleys and the mining areas. The women would wash their windows down regularly because of the coal dust. By having Gloss surrounds these could be scrubbed down at the same time.

Funnily enough I want gloss masonary paint for my own surrounds now, so if you come acroos the brand let me know, otherwise it'll just be exterior grade gloss I use.

Woody
    City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher:D
  • ukwoody
    ukwoody Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    I've just noticed the OP is in Yorkshire, since thast is also a mining and industrial area, I wonder if it was the same reason there?

woody
    City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher:D
  • midflight
    midflight Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    This is lost on me. Why would you have something made of stone and paint it in gloss paint (which itself is a bit horrific and shows every imperfection)

Oh dear...
    It does seem to be used outside by people who can't be bothered to buy a seperate pot of paint.

Quite the opposite. If I couldn't be bothered, I'd have bought one of the hundred's of dull matt paints I've seen so far, and would have given up my search for a nice gloss finish long ago...
    Black gloss shows dirt like nobody's business and there's a lot of dirt outside! I don't know about everyone else but I'm not generally in the habit of cleaing my outside windowsills.

A quick wipe down every few weeks, and black gloss sills look as good as new. On the other hand, a dull matt finish looks tired & worn from the word go, and no amount of cleaning will make it look nice.
    Stone coloured masonry paint for what should be stone coloured objects I say.

Stone coloured!? What colour is stone? Grey?
    I've seen Sand coloured paint, which a neighbour has used, but it just looks dirty white. I've seen Red-brick coloured paint and this also looks terrible. I can't imagine what grey, or stone would look like, as I've honestly never seen any painted like that.

From your comments, I can only assume you have no idea of the kind of sill/surround I'm talking about. For my era of house, they are almost always painted either white or black (95% of the houses in my area, which as someone correctly pointed out, is in Yorkshire. The other 5% are either the sandy or red colours mentioned above)

Sadly it seems to be mostly matt black these days, which is a shame, as the gloss effect looks brighter, neater & more traditional. The supposed "imperfections" of gloss (a comment surely more valid when talking about internal woodwork anyway) are only visible when VERY close up, and can actually help to show off the wonderfully aged character of the stone.

I've got an old photo of the house (probably 1930's) and am trying to restore it to something like. For example, I've recently resisted the urge to follow the trend for PVC/plastic guttering, and gone for traditional wooden "spouting" when mine needed replacing. Looks spot on.

Thanks for the other helpful comments/suggestions re black gloss external paint (posters: hardpressed, nickj, paintpot, ukwoody, etc) - I'll keep looking :)
    SKIPS STONES FOR FUDGE
  • woodbutcher_2
    woodbutcher_2 Posts: 747 Forumite
    Options
    My brother(painter and decorator)did some stonework at my last house in black gloss and he used Sandtex high gloss.Looked a treat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure