Turning 16, Getting a bank account [+A Job]

Options
Hey guys, looks like a really useful forum here - one that I might be using alot if/when I start earning and saving! :D

At the moment I am approaching 16, just had my National Insurance Number through and I am looking to get a bank account up and running for my birthday. Then I can have a few application forms being processed before and I can get a job as soon as possible.

I have been looking about for accounts, and they all start at 16 - apart from the Lloyds TSB Under 19 account. [http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_accounts/under_19s_account.asp] This seems ideal as I could get an account now [2 months before my 16th birthday], and then upgrade it to include Phone and Internet banking on my birthday.

All I want is a simple current account that I can get now, will allow me to recieve my pay and withdraw it, and maybe allow me to use it to make purchases online. So it seems ideal - but I'd be interested to hear of other options!

Plus - what will I need to take to a branch with me? Parent, Birth Certificate.... ? [No passport at the moment]

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions/advice for me? Thanks! =]

Comments

• skyrider007
    skyrider007 Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    Lloyds TSB is good as you will get a VISA debit card from them.

You don't need to take your parent with you but if you can (and they bank with LLoyds) it would be good. Birth certificate is accepted but you will also need to provide proof of address such as utility bill and previous bank statement etc. If you don't have a proof of address with your name then bring a parent with you.

I'd suggest you take a look at A&L under21 account as they are some good benefits:

http://www.alliance-leicester.co.uk/currentaccounts/index.asp?page=premier21&ct=curracchome
  • Moodymoddy
    Moodymoddy Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Lloyds TSB is good as you will get a VISA debit card from them.

You don't need to take your parent with you but if you can (and they bank with LLoyds) it would be good. Birth certificate is accepted but you will also need to provide proof of address such as utility bill and previous bank statement etc. If you don't have a proof of address with your name then bring a parent with you.

Yeah - its the proof of address that I need a parent for really. I don't have any of my own.
    I'd suggest you take a look at A&L under21 account as they are some good benefits:

http://www.alliance-leicester.co.uk/currentaccounts/index.asp?page=premier21&ct=curracchome

Thanks for that! That looks like quite a good account - I'll look into it. One reason I looked at Lloyds TSB is because of the close proximity to a branch aswell though.
  • bradc
    bradc Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    Lloyds require a parent if your under 16.
  • janetteosborne
    Options
    Hi

Try the Nationwide - my son also 16 joined as a baby with some grandparents money - has gone along with the different accounts and they sorted it all out for him so that when he gets to 18 he will just move into a Flex A/c - they are so good and friendly - he has his saturday money paid straight into the account - no problems. Have a go and interest added as well.

JOsborne
    JOsborne
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family