Bread prices - where is cheapest?

With bread prices rising as they are, what about a thread where we can reveal who has best prices, premium bread on offer that sort of thing! I usually shop in Tesco but they don't seem to have such good offers any more..

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Colin_Kee
    Colin_Kee Posts: 235 Forumite
    Shop around!!

My little Bro works in a Spar and to be honest they are as cheap as Tesco if not cheaper on a lot of things. It's swings and rounsdabouts really, yes you'll get your bread, potatoes & Milk 5 or 10p cheaper in Tesco or ASDA but they are their loss leaders. Then compare the price of your Jafffa Cakes & Hob Nobs, they'll probably be 5p or more cheaper in Spar or Centra..

If you want CHEAP especially for your canned goods (and aren't fussy about Brands) Shop at LIDL (NO I'm NOT a LIDL Employee) Seriously on a big shop you can save loads especially as I say when buying Tinned Items like Baked Beans, Spaghetti, Tinned Tomatoes, Sweetcorn etc and actually though not the widest selection, the bread is cheap enough... Veg is quite cheap too but you have to get it on the right day.. find out when they get their deliveries and go then otherwise it can look a bit shrivelled & sad...

Good to for the completely random purchase when in stock too... from a wet suit to an ice machine..

I caught a bit of a program the other night where two friends went out shopping and bought BOGOF & special offers in the local supermarkets. They then split the shopping & the bill in half. saved them quite a bit Good idea if you have a good friend or family member near by!!
    Live, Love & Laugh A Lot!
  • Greentea
    Greentea Posts: 495 Forumite
    There was an article in the Daily Mail yesterday about bread makers, i loaf costs about 35p (ingredients only) - begining to look like a good investment.
  • Bigcammy
    Bigcammy Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The Texaco garage at Ballyhackamore in East Belfast usually has a big sign outside offering 2 white pan loaves for £1
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252 :beer:
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Greentea wrote: »
    There was an article in the Daily Mail yesterday about bread makers, i loaf costs about 35p (ingredients only) - begining to look like a good investment.

More advice on breadmakers can be found on the old style board here
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm not sure quite what you mean by premium bread, so here's a few of suggestions:

Mr T's Value sliced bread: 37p
    Aldi sliced bread: 37p

If you are looking for a higher quality, commercial, sliced loaf, try farmfoods who do, I think, 2 kingsmill loaves for £1.20

If you want a traditional unsliced loaf (even if they then slice it) try Asda as they are cheaper than Mr T's! Perhaps Sainsburys & Morrisons are too?
    e.g 800g Farmhouse 92p in Asda - well over a pound in Mr T's

Edit: Scrub the last bit about Asda.
    Just been and noticed 800g farmhouse is now £1.09 :(
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • icookalot4u
    icookalot4u Posts: 241 Forumite
    Perhaps this thread was better of in the NI forum since the info is not relevant as we dont have an aldi etc.
    Locally i was in tesco newtownbreda last weekend and they where doing a super size crusty for £1,they called it the weekend loaf but did last even 1 day in our house.
  • carlyh69
    carlyh69 Posts: 303 Forumite
    the aldi bread is great BTW
    Wins 2016: Dogfest ticks, B&M dog Hamper, Dog food, Dog blanket, Hair product, meal for 2 and wine at pub, craft bundle, organic surge gift pack, £100 gullivers world voucher, stress out cd, £200 seascape vouchers, popcorn maker, mandarin body butter, Wishing for a holiday win!
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I have to have wholemeal for health reasons, and have just switched to Aldi wholemeal which is 55p a loaf, half the price of Allinsons, hovis etc and nearly as nice. The slices are a bit thinner so you get more slices per loaf, more slimming and cheaper.
  • MandyLou66
    MandyLou66 Posts: 254 Forumite
    Morrisons are doing 2 for £1.20 on Rathbones bread, can mix and match so got 1 wholemeal and 1 white stayfresh.
    'Neither a lender nor a borrower be'
    Now why didn't I take any notice of the
    second part of that quote!!???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills