Living abroad tips and hints for money savers

Options

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Hey Wearside, thanks for joining in; it is great to have non-European expats here to get a taster of non - EU life!

What is a Florida room?

And....what is a CARPET? we don't have those here in southern Spain!! :confused: :rotfl:
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • wearside_2
    wearside_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Hey Wearside, thanks for joining in; it is great to have non-European expats here to get a taster of non - EU life!

What is a Florida room?

And....what is a CARPET? we don't have those here in southern Spain!! :confused: :rotfl:

A Florida Room is the same as a conservatory. A carpet is something that goes on the floor and is warmer to lie on than tiles, should one wish to do that:eek:
    To Dare is To Do:beer:
  • droopsnout
    droopsnout Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    I thought a carpet was some kind of animal toy that lives in the car. A Churchill dog, for example. ;)
    Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. - Thomas Sowell, "Is Reality Optional?", 1993
  • wearside_2
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    droopsnout wrote:
    I thought a carpet was some kind of animal toy that lives in the car. A Churchill dog, for example. ;)

I don't think that they have heard of Churchill here! I hate that advert by the way!
  • wearside_2
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Who has stolen the Florida heat:confused: Its 22.07 here I have just put the central heating on for thie first time ever:eek:
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm really enjoying reading this thread. Thanks to all the contributors. :T
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    .. we had great marriage and still have ,we where one of the lucky ones, but saw so many marriages break up many leaving their parner in spain, only to follow later through loneliness or lack of money...

I suspect people underestimate the strain that expat life can put on relationships, particularly if a couple are fairly isolated and surrounded by people speaking a different language and experiencing a lot of adjustment problems .Some men for instance seem to have problems adjusting to giving up work, even when they are in their home country much less somewhere foreign. Missing friends and family ( particularly grand children) can also be a problem.If couples aren't very good at communication, the relationship can quickly come under stress.

It may be sensible to do things gradually, step by step. That is, don't retire, sell home and move abroad simultaneously. Renting rather than buying may also be best for a while in a new country especially in markets where there is a lot of new build property and pre-owned homes may be harder to sell.That way, if you find you can't adjust and want to come back, it is easy to up sticks without losing any money.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Mrs_pbradley936
    Options
    Hello wearside,

We do the same as you and have a place in Fort Myers. We are usually there by now but due to family commitments we will not be there for a couple of weeks. We are selling up now and will still go to Florida but will rent. Our property taxes have shot up and so has the insurance because we are west of the 41 so are considered to be in a flood zone. We are not in a park and so have pay all our own yard and pool services so adding up what it costs we think we will be better of renting. Plus the house has increased in value no end (we are near but not on the beach) over the last couple of years. The legal side of owning abroad has raised questions I had never thought of (that is on another thread) in terms of what would happen if you or your partner died and the tax situation.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Agree with EdInvestoe, don't do everyhting at once and keep your house (or a smaller one) in the UK if you can.

We have not sold our UK house, and bought our Spanish house a year before we moved here and used it for holidays during that year .

We knew we had a safety net. Muy importante!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Pobby
    Pobby Posts: 5,438 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you to seven-day-weekend for the picture that has been painted about living in Spain.Also thanks for the e-mails.I see taht you bought your property in 2003,what would it be valued at now?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure