Living abroad tips and hints for money savers

Options

Comments

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    de1amo wrote: »
    Oh the BBC is totally dellusional about Turkey and it makes my wife 'boil'...i sometimes wonder if they have lost their grip on reality!!....we are well positioned to leave Turkey and live wherever we want...anywhere apart from Britain!!!...the weather and discontent is so unappealing......i used to live in Brasil and would love an excuse to return!!

So what exactly do the BBC say about Turkey that you believe is incorrect? You seem to have a very postive view of Erdogan which is not shared by many Turks: the outright Twitter ban because of a corruption scandal ( that happens to use that medium) is not the mark of a competent and honest politician.

I've just returned to Britain after 7 years abroad: the weather is fine at the moment, and most of the discontent here seems perfectly justified. The government gets a lot of criticism via Twitter but doesn't ban it..

As you seem to be reasonably well-off perhaps Brazil would be a good option; a team-mate in my last football team came from there, and it seems not too bad there if you are middle class. Lots of crime of course, but that's not s bad as bad weather and discontent..
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    droopsnout wrote: »
    The prices you mention are extraordinarily cheap when compared to what we pay here in France.

Comparisons are difficult though, aren't they? In Italy I was paying 17% INPS (social security) on my local earnings in addition to tax, and that was without contribution towards a pension - another 6% if I'd had to pay it (I was already in receipt of a very small UK private pension).

How much the cost of the French health service is due to them being hypochondiacs is difficult to say (La Maladie Imaginaire indicates it's an age old problem! ) :-) . In Italy there seemed to be a contrast: the fussy types and the poor working classes for whom a hospital visit was something to be avoided at all costs.

My only contact, apart from with the GP, was with A&E after a couple of football injuries playing for the local team, but fortunately our (UK people's) general propensity not to make a fuss meant my injuries and pain were taken seriously.

A local medic who went out with the helicopters on mountain rescue at the nearby ski resort told me a story of an English kid with a bad limb break. Dad was telling her not to makle a fuss and that it was all OK. The medic ascribed this to British stiff-upper lip. My own opinion was that a hysterical patient would help no one, and it was pragmatism that ruled...
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Turkey is in the UK news today after blocking Twitter. That sort of State interference isn't likely to go down well with potential EU partners.
    Failing to block Twitter etc was the big mistake countries like Egypt made.

They organise. They get the government chucked out. They organise again. They get the new (democratically elected) government chucked out. Etc.

It's the new face of anarchy. Now paying a call on Ukraine. In your neighbourhood soon.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Calling SDW and any other Spanish expats, would anyone be able to give some pointers on this thread about Spanish inheritance laws? I'd suggest pointing to some useful sites rather than actual advice ....
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I found this recently for a friend, it is an advert, but it does give some info.

http://www.mamsolicitors.com/skills-and-services/wills/examples/

DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have replied on the thread.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have replied on the other thread.
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • Picasso7
    Picasso7 Posts: 4,038 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Oh, bit of tumbleweed blowing through here!

Looking for a bit of general advice, nothing imminent but can't stop planning/scheming .

Hoping to move to Spain semi-permanently in the next few years. What is the best way to transfer money over in bits and pieces? Although we will have savings we'll be living off rental income and a pension so money will probably be coming in a few times during the month. Let's say 2 - 2.5k a month?

When we go at the moment we withdraw cash with Halifax Clarity and also use it for buying things. I could be ultra-organised and do lots of online transfers so we paid minimal interest on the cash withdrawals but it's a bit of a faff to do that so looking for an easier way.

Are there any UK banks that will do free transfers? Also are most banks relaxed about you moving overseas and retaining UK accounts (I know there are tax implications and problems opening new accounts, just thinking of existing ones).

Thanks."

I would look at opening a Santander 123 account while you're still in the UK..... 3% interest on balances up to £20,000 and free cash withdrawals from Santander branches in mainland Spain. We do it and it works well. You can manage the account online while in Spain.

This works with any Santander current account as long as you are paying in £500 a month I think.
  • Minnieme_2
    Minnieme_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a company which can offer services for someone in the UK looking to get a mortgage in Spain?
    I love saving money but I love spending money even more!

Web Designer & Internet Marketing Consultant Based in Wiltshire.
  • Mint1955
    Mint1955 Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We'll I have just found this thread again. I last asked in February anyone North Cyprus but no replies which is a shame .

Life has moved on a pace and the decision to sell up and move out there full time is now on the cards

We have had a small villa since 2009 and visit about three months a year for holidays. We know the pitfalls and problems but now the adventure can begin by starting to clear things up in the UK and makes plans for actually living there.

I have spent quite a long time getting frustrated and thinking I can't do anything towards the move as no real plan as OH was working but his contract finishes end of the summer and it's looking like the house will be on the market either January or April next year, in the meantime we will be clearing organising and generally tying up loose ends.

This is the latest it will be but if OH son moves out this year instead of next then that plan will be brought forward and the house will go on the market sooner.

Scary stuff really but an adventure to be had. The spreadsheet of funds income and expenses is a work in progress and today is my first day with a new mindset of I can now start the clear out/house tidy up/decoration for selling etc in preparation so I am ready when we make the final date decision for house sale.

Not too much will go with us as we already have most things out there but personal belongings and paperwork really need minimising and then it's the legacy stuff that's a problem. Too many things given to us over the years that have sat in cupboards for years but they make for guilty feelings due to who gave them to us or memory stuff from parents who are no long with us. I am going to have to be strict and tough on myself and OH.

This week I am going to tackle our bedroom and ensuite deep clean both do any repairs etc to give them a lift decor wise and go through all cupboards and drawers etc. Making a list of what will go with us start to eBay or charity shop anything not going and throw the rubbish out as I go.

Wish me luck I hate housework at the best of times lol
    Living the dream and retired in Cyprus :j

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5105296
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills