Australia - using Nationwide debit card for cashback??

Options
Hi - just after some advice from anyone that knows or can advise on this as we are going to Oz for a couple of months and we are taking our Nationwide debit and credit cards (not much cash). How easy and widespread is it to get cashbacks from supermarkets and the like?? I've never used a debit card overseas so am not sure what to expect but am reliant upon this method for when we need to top up our cash!

Any advice or pointers in the right direction very much appreciated.

Nina
if i had known then what i know now

Comments

• alanrowell
    Options
    but am reliant upon this method for when we need to top up our cash
    What's wrong with using an ATM?
  • se999
    se999 Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    Options
    Not been to Australia, but we travel a lot!!

Do take more than one card, we've had cards that have suddenly stopped working because the credit card company has had security worries about a shop we used them at, this stopped a card working for most of a 3 week US trip! We always take a visa and a mastercard and amex with us (2 should be ok), and also a reasonable amount in local currency for taxi's snacks etc on arrival.

Also do warn all credit & debit card companies that you will be using them in Australia, and also in any stopover places en route. This makes it less likely that they'll put a 'stop' on them due to what they see as 'unusual' activity.

We always use ATM's when we travel for getting cash.
  • sydneybound
    Options
    Went to Australia in June/ July and we used our Nationwide cards to get cash out of ATM machines there, which are very regular. When we were heading to places in the middle of nowhere (which I doubt I'll ever go again, having seen Wolf Creek!) we'd just plan ahead and get a little more out... all small towns like Port Douglas have ATM machines, mostly located near the supermarkets. Plus there is no charge to use withdraw from Nationwide cards... v. handy!

Never used the cashback route, but felt no need as there were always ATM's!

Have a great time!
  • HGLTsuperstar
    Options
    Use ATMs and in shops the machines are largely now chip & pin everywhere, even last year when my N/Wide card wasn't C&P over here, it was over there (if you follow!). N/wide of course don't charge you commission so dont worry about getting foreign cash before you go, just go to the airport ATM as soon as you land. I didnt think to tell them I was overseas, but card was never stopped, but probably better to play it safe on that one.
  • alison74
    alison74 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Options
    I had no problems with my Nationwide cards in Oz, using the atms. Although I paid for groceries with the card, I didnt get cash back at the tills.

It's always good to have a back up card, but if you have 2 N/W cards, just dont keep them together.

Email yourself a copy of all your numbers and emergency phone nos. incase you should lose one

Have a great time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport