Argos catalogue item mis-described - what can I do?

Options
I bought a desk, filing drawers and set of shelves from Argos for my new 'home office'. I spent a long time looking in lots of shops, to get exactly what I wanted, and make sure it fitted in the small space I have available.
I was very pleased with the look and fit of the items when we put them together, but now I have a problem.....

The "mahogany effect 2 drawer filing cabinet" (ref 617/9849 for you Argos nuts!) clearly states "suitable for A4 suspension files", but when I came to put files in the drawers they will not fit! I went back to the stationers and checked, but all the A4 suspension files are exactly the same size - which is too large for the drawers. The stationers tell me that there is no smaller size suspension file available.
A major reason for me choosing this office furniture was that I need this type of suspension file, and I am now unable to use them.
I have examined the drawers and cannot see that they could be put together in any other way so as to make files fit, so I assume that there is either a manufacturing fault, or the description in the catalogue is wrong.

I have written an email to Argos to complain (although I tried to email through the 'contact us' on their website and it failed 3 times - grrrrr!), and asked them to contact me, but I don't really know what to ask them for.....I don't want to dismantle all the furniture now, and I don't want them to take back just the cabinet and refund me, 'cos all the furniture matches, and it fits really well in the space - but I really do need these filing drawers!

I have thought that I could do a 'blue peter' job on the suspension files and chop them up and resize them with sellotape & glue - but I really should have to should I? Do you think it's fair to ask them to refund me the cost of the cabinet (£29.99) and I'll keep it and make do?

What do you seasoned complainers reckon? - I am not very good at complaining, as I tend to lose my temper (and I'm all girly and hormonal at the mo so will probably burst into tears!)

FE
The best advice you can give your children: "Take responsibility for your own actions...and always Read the Small Print!"
..."Mind yer a*se on the step!"
TTC with FI - RIP my 2 MC Angels - 3rd full ICSI starts May/June 2009 - BFP!!! Please let it be 'third time lucky'..... EDD 7th March 2010.

Comments

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Are the suspension files too big or too small? Are the files meant to run left-to-right or front-to-back. On most drawers I have seen one of the support ends for the files is moveable allowing it to accomodate different sizes. In my set of drawers the files run front-to-back and at the back of the drawer there is a metal bar that can be slid forwards and backwards.

If you are having trouble you could try Vikingdirect.com they might stock a different size

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • surfcat
    surfcat Posts: 734 Forumite
    Options
    I tried for ages to remember how I got the suspenders to fit into my filing cabinet, and it was, similar to Ivan, becuase I was trying the wrong way round, ie I was trying to make them go across the drawer, rather than front to back.
  • Petal_3
    Petal_3 Posts: 779 Forumite
    Options
    I did this once too! Tried to fit the suspension files side to side rather than front to back (or t'other way round).

Good Luck!
    Owned by [STRIKE]4[/STRIKE] 4 cats: 2 x Maine coon cross males, 1 x Pixie Bob male and[STRIKE] 2[/STRIKE] 1 x Norwegian Forest male....cute!

R.I.P Darling Jackson 11/7/09 - 15/1/10 :(
    Miss u sweetie... :heart:
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Certainly looks like they are supossed to run side to side, because from the picture it apears quite wide compared to its depth.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=3801&langId=-1&searchTerms=6179849+&go.x=13&go.y=15

oops scratch that - the dimensions (H)76, (W)39, (D)48cm
    tell us the files are to run front to back.
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There are two types of suspension files - A4, and foolscap - and foolscap is the larger and the more common.

I suspect you have foolscap suspension files and an A4 drawer.

You can get A4 suspension files from Viking Direct - http://www.viking-direct.co.uk

This is hopefully a direct link - http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/(0zipeoml2jaot045ucbot43b)/catalogSku.aspx?id=78045&PR=Q2H
  • LondonDiva
    Options
    Trow wrote:
    There are two types of suspension files - A4, and foolscap - and foolscap is the larger and the more common.

I suspect you have foolscap suspension files and an A4 drawer.

You can get A4 suspension files from Viking Direct - http://www.viking-direct.co.uk

This is hopefully a direct link - http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/(0zipeoml2jaot045ucbot43b)/catalogSku.aspx?id=78045&PR=Q2H
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:I had this problem a few months back after an office move! we were convinced the files had expanded over the weekend and most of the office ground to a halt trying to solve the puzzle and didn't realise that the new cupboards they'd given us were for A4 not foolscap files!:doh:

It wasn't fun switching hundreds of folders, I can tell you:D:D:D

Good luck

Diva
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
  • Plasticman
    Plasticman Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    surfcat wrote:
    I tried for ages to remember how I got the suspenders to fit into my filing cabinet

Sound like you work in a lively office if you keep your suspenders in a filing cabinet!! :o
    If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson 1802
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Perfectly normal in our office ... :D:D

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Plasticman
    Plasticman Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Got any vacancies?? :D
    If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson 1802
  • FairyElephant_2
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments.....

I definitely bought A4 files - I checked the package, and the dimensions in our office stationery catalogue when they wouldn't fit (if they had been foolscap I might have acquired some from our office, as we are all being made redundant and things like that are being got rid of, but we don't use A4 ones unfortunately).

The metal pole things which hold the files up (prob. have a proper name but I don't know it!) run along each side of the drawer, so the files must have to fit that way, or there would be nothing to hold them up with, if you see what I mean.

Argos auto email response says I should have an answer in 5 days, so roll on end of today!
    The best advice you can give your children: "Take responsibility for your own actions...and always Read the Small Print!"
    ..."Mind yer a*se on the step!"
    TTC with FI - RIP my 2 MC Angels - 3rd full ICSI starts May/June 2009 - BFP!!! Please let it be 'third time lucky'..... EDD 7th March 2010.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure