We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.

Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

New house purchase, advice needed!

Hi, Im new to these boards but deperately need advice and you guys seem to be the best place for it.

I am in the process of buying a shared ownership house and was expected to complete on the 20th May. However this was delayed as the land has not yet been registered and to this day, has still not been done.

Background, I first viewed the house and left a reservation fee on 5th April. Its a new build and really is my ideal first home, and im buying alone.

I signed and returned the contracts on 24th April, although I do not yet think they have been exchanged with the housing association (the seller)

Now, I am getting very concerned, as for the past month I have been told that the delay is being cause as the land is not yet registered, therefore my solicitor has been unable to start any searches etc, although I have paid them £200 to begin this.

I have called the land registry and they have no record at all of the property being submitted to them or any trace of it at all. As you can imagine, I am pulling my hair out, as things really do not seem to have moved along since the start of April.

Im weighing up my options, and have consistently called the housing association to get a new completion date arranged etc, although they do not seem in any urgency to arrange this. My solicitors are adamant that they cannot do anything until the land is registered, and im feeling increasingly stuck as none of the parties involved seem particularly concerned about anything. The seller has said that their solicitors have outsourced the registration to another company, as they do not manage it themselves, is tis usual?

I suppose I just need some advice on who I should be chasing here, as I am feeling as though im just being fobbed off, and am not really sure of my rights as it is their fault that we have missed completion. In addition, the house has now suffered some vandalism as it has been empty for so long now, increasing my frustration with the delay.:mad:

Any advice appreciated, am I being led in circles here, and who should be doing more to help me out?

Comments

  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,597
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have you paid a deposit?
    poppy10
  • Richard_Webster
    Richard_Webster Posts: 7,646
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Part of the problem may be to do with the fact that many HAs are not very up together on legal details and tend the rely on their solicitors.. If then their solicitor tells them that they need to do something to enable something to happen, they can take ages thinking about it and having a meeting, etc. The HA staff may not understand what it is about, etc, etc. Result is that HA's solicitor is stuck waiting for movement form his HA client and that kind of inertia could be the reason why the registration is not happening. OP might also find that phone calls to the HA don't do any good because nobody there understands the problem!
    RICHARD WEBSTER

    As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • cozlw
    cozlw Posts: 55
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hiya

    Thanks for the replies so far. I havent left a deposit yet, as my solicitor warned that they were dragging their feet, so I hung onto it. Only good thing I suppose is Im still getting the interest from it in my account.

    I called the HA yesterday evening, and spoke to a Manager as I was so frustrated with the lack of contact from my allocated contact. I found out my contact has gone on holiday for 2 weeks (thanks for letting me know) and that before going she said the sale had gone through and completed! !!!!!!? :eek:

    Obviously her manager wasnt impressed that I was calling with no completion and no efforts from her staff to chase it up. She genuinely didnt sound aware of it at all!

    I dont want to pull out of the sale, I just feel disheartened that it has taken them so long to get this far and it still seems that so much is left to do!
  • Incisor
    Incisor Posts: 2,271
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    cozlw wrote: »
    Hiya

    Thanks for the replies so far. I havent left a deposit yet, as my solicitor warned that they were dragging their feet, so I hung onto it. Only good thing I suppose is Im still getting the interest from it in my account.

    I called the HA yesterday evening, and spoke to a Manager as I was so frustrated with the lack of contact from my allocated contact. I found out my contact has gone on holiday for 2 weeks (thanks for letting me know) and that before going she said the sale had gone through and completed! !!!!!!? :eek:

    Obviously her manager wasnt impressed that I was calling with no completion and no efforts from her staff to chase it up. She genuinely didnt sound aware of it at all!

    I dont want to pull out of the sale, I just feel disheartened that it has taken them so long to get this far and it still seems that so much is left to do!

    You are right to be saying !!!!!!. One question I would ask in your position is would I want to deal with shared ownership with this outfit, given what has happened. It looks to be like your solicitor is handling the matter correctly. I would suggest a chat with him with a view to giving the HA 14 days to present details to him. Failing that, I would just walk away.
    After the uprising of the 17th June The Secretary of the Writers Union
    Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee Stating that the people
    Had forfeited the confidence of the government And could win it back only
    By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier In that case for the government
    To dissolve the people
    And elect another?
  • cozlw
    cozlw Posts: 55
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Incisor wrote: »
    You are right to be saying !!!!!!. One question I would ask in your position is would I want to deal with shared ownership with this outfit, given what has happened. It looks to be like your solicitor is handling the matter correctly. I would suggest a chat with him with a view to giving the HA 14 days to present details to him. Failing that, I would just walk away.

    I have considered walking away from it, as everyone I speak to is so suprised at how it is being handled but I just dont know whether I could cope with starting the process again elsewhere!

    Do you know whether I would be liable for any solicitors fees etc if I were to walk away from it? As mentioned in my first post, I have already paid them a cheque of £200 which they have cashed to begin carrying out searches (something which they cant actually start until the land is registered).

    My aunt bought new build and said she actually moved into the house which waiting for the registry to go through, as it was taking almost 6 months and she had her family at the time.

    In my call yesterday, I did say to the Manager that I have had to leave rented accomodation asap as I was supposed to be completing last week, hence the urgency. Im now waiting on her to call me this morning with an update, as she has been completely out of the loop.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.