We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Poor fuel consumption on a new Kia Rio diesel

Hi,
I have a new Kia Rio 1.5 diesel. It has done 2,000 miles and yet I am only getting an mpg of less than 50mpg. I live in quite a rural area but predominently A roads and have been driving sensibly, and not in a city/town.

The quoted Urban (cold) mpg is 52.3, and the combined 62.8.

Is it worth a call to the garage or is this just the norm. I know I can't expect to get the quoted figures but expected to get somewhere near the combined figure, not less than the Urban one!
«1

Comments

  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,547 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Are your tyres at the correct pressure?
  • ItsOnlyMe_2
    ItsOnlyMe_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    yeah I have checked tyre pressure and it is ok.
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,547 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    The only other thin I can think of is binding brakes although I would be surprised if this happened on a new car.

    It could be that you need to wait for the car to run in a bit and loosen up - its possible you might see the MPG improve with more miles. It could be worth asking the dealer about it anyway.
  • ItsOnlyMe_2
    ItsOnlyMe_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    yeah I will maybe go along and see what they say about it just don't want them to look at it and then charge me anything!

    I was unsure whether the running in argument was a myth or not.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ItsOnlyMe wrote: »
    yeah I will maybe go along and see what they say about it just don't want them to look at it and then charge me anything!
    I'd think as it's a new car (thus under warranty ;)) you shouldn't be charged anything full stop!
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    It could possibly be because the engine is still tight at 2000 miles.;)
  • leehal
    leehal Posts: 161 Forumite
    In my experience from owning several diesels over the years you won't really notice anywhere near the quoted figures until 10,000 miles - I would also take the official figures with a pinch of salt. Again from my experience I would knock around 10% of those.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I agree with the last two comments. Get some more miles under your belt.

    How are yoy calculating mpg? On board computter or pencil and paper after a fill up?

    If not the later fill car drive till you need to fill up and do your calculations then.

    With my heavy foot if I get within 20% of quoted figures I would be over the moon...;)
  • ItsOnlyMe_2
    ItsOnlyMe_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Thanks for replies.
    You seem to have cleared up that 'new car requiring run in' is not a myth, which I thought with modern technology was no longer required.

    pen and paper method for calculating mpg as it has no computer
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Remember the quoted figures are gained under test conditions, not in real world driving.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.