MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you report him to the police?

Options

Comments

• The_MoneySavingKid
    Options
    I would report him. I work in a petrol station for a low wage, but I pay the £53 to fill my tank.
    As far as I am aware the situation given was:
    He owned a business which was on the edge of collapsing.
    A pregnant wife who he is currently having to support.
    It was not:
    He works in petrol station for a low wage and can't afford the £53.

Don't compare.
  • rlp
    rlp Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I would report him. I work in a petrol station for a low wage, but I pay the £53 to fill my tank.
    I understand the sentiment here, although I don't think I would do so.
    My question is whether the police can do anything with this sort of vague hearsay?
    We have a crime problem in this area and the gossip is that the police know the culprit but need proper proof.
  • Short_Legs
    Short_Legs Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    No, I wouldn't report him. I don't condone stealing and I wouldn't do it myself but I completely agree with the people who would give the guy a big slap on the back for doing it (IF he got away with it) the petrol companies rake in billions every year and it's because they rip us off. They can not be compared to decent, human beings who run their own companies and work hard to make a profit (stealing from them is completely out of the question) but petrol companies who are putting prices up every single day, out of pure greed - they deserve every instance of fill-and-run they get!
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I would NEVER grass on a friend!!!!
  • MadHorseFan
    Options
    No, never. It isn't right but who am I to judge? Am I blameless and spotless, have I ever broken the law? No, of course not. Society is on the brink in the UK, things need to change and quickly. All my bills have gone up and my income, thanks to the budget, has gone down. I am really struggling to keep my head above water and I am sickened by MP and other "leaders of the community" telling me that I must suffer to save the world, while they sit in their nice houses and drive their lovely cars, on their fantastic wages. I work in MY community, work really hard but my wages are poor and soon I will have to leave this god-forsaken-hole or go under. If he needs to fill his car with stolen fuel, then it is a reflection of the times and I would not report him
  • meehog
    meehog Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    riky.p wrote: »
    Personally I would take him into custody there and then. Then help him by showing him the correct path to take.
    Although I accept at this point in time he might possibly not want to talk to me....

Not want to talk to you? if you were my mate and you'd just grassed me up for something I told you in confidence, I think I'd be more inclined to smack you in the mouth than listen to your advice about the correct path to take!

As for myself, it wouldn't enter my head to report him, even though I'd tell him that what he did was wrong and that he's taking a massive risk. I honestly can't believe some people are saying they'd report a friend to the police for something like that. We're not talking about somebody confessing to rape or murder, this is a friend who stole some fuel because he felt desperate. I hope this hypothetical guy chooses his friends carefully!
  • midas1
    midas1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I
    wouldn't
    report him...
    But can i report the Government for riping me off
    every-time
    i fill my car or bike, they are taking more and more tax
    every-time
    the price of fuel goes up, and have been for a long time now.
    Not on.
    Oil companies making £1.5 million an hour profit:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Its time to put a stop to this, the people in this country are like sheep, they just follow blindly.........:eek::eek:
  • Bargainetta
    Bargainetta Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    No I wouldn't report him because he is a friend but also because, if he continues doing it he will eventually get caught without any intervention from me. The one circumstance that would change this is if he had stolen someone else's number plate in order to do the drive off - yes, then I would report him for all the cost and hassle he will have caused some other poor sob who may be in the same or even worse circumstance than him themselves.
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    Yes. His wife and unborn child do not deserve this.
  • johnedwards64
    Options
    I can't believe all you people would report a friend to the police for driving off without paying for petrol. What's more important to you - friendship or the profits of someone else's business? Capitalism has got you in its grip.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure