Message to Gordon from the wrinklies

Options

Comments

• brodev
    brodev Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Options
    Nor this one.

I don't like having a PM (or a Chancellor for that matter) who is only answerable to the Scottish electorate, when by far the greatest majority of those he allegedly represents are not Scottish.
    In fact he is only answerable to the electorate of Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath. Like every other prime minister before him the people who vote for him as an MP are his constituency voters. What is the point you are trying to make? If it is racial don't even bother to reply.
    Something Really Interesting
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just that as a Scottish MP with a Scottish seat he is not representing the majority of the UK.

I do not intend this as a racist remark, just a statement of fact.

I do understand the mechanics of voting for MPs.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • brodev
    brodev Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Options
    He is no different then than any other constituency MP. I, perhaps mistakenly, got the impression from your previous post that Scots, and perhaps Welsh and Northern Irish people, should be excluded from being PM.
    Something Really Interesting
  • Jennifer_Jane
    Jennifer_Jane Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Brodev is going off-topic, and the point would be interesting as another thread. To go back to the thread, I would prefer that Brown continues in his Marie Antoinette mode, making mistakes and bumbling along so that he does indeed, get a trouncing in future by-elections and hopefully Labour (I'm a floatiing voter) get out. The country needs a change.

Labour are saying that there is no appetite to get rid of Brown, they are saying he is the best man for the job. Well, if he's the best they have, then Heaven help them (and us!).

I realise that what is written above would be challenged by poorer older people (I am 61) as they are constantly being made poorer by Labour and by Brown, and I would concede that as a flaw in my argument!

Jen
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "I will listen and I will learn. I will strive to meet people's aspirations. I want to lead a government humble enough to know its place - where I will always strive to be - and that is on people's side."

"In the weeks and months ahead, my task is to show I have the new ideas, the vision and the experience to earn the trust of the British people"

"Environmental sustainability is not an option - it is a necessity. For economies to flourish, for global poverty to be banished, for the well-being of the world's people to be enhanced - not just in this generation but in succeeding generations - we have a compelling and ever more urgent duty of stewardship to take care of the natural environment and resources on which our economic activity and social fabric depends. ... A new paradigm that sees economic growth, social justice and environmental care advancing together can become the common sense of our age."

I feel sick !
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,260 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    lilac_lady wrote: »
    What can Gordon do for the Wrinklies? Reinstate the link between earnings and pensions. Remember who was responsible for that terrible decision?

The Tories under mad Maggie IIRC
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Options
    I think pensioners should pay reduced Council Tax.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    brodev wrote: »
    He is no different then than any other constituency MP. I, perhaps mistakenly, got the impression from your previous post that Scots, and perhaps Welsh and Northern Irish people, should be excluded from being PM.

Yes as Jennifer Jane rightly says, this is maybe a topic for discussion on a separate thread.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    Please stop taxing me on my pension or just let me be marginally better off than someone claiming pension credit, and getting free rent and Council tax.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Yes, krisskross, people who have paid in should be better off than those who haven't although all should have a fair pension.

I persoanlly will be hardly any better off than if I hadn't paid in (although as a couple we will be).
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure