We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Just had a review of my fuel DD's

MrsE_2
MrsE_2 Posts: 24,161 Forumite
10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
Been living here 2 years.

I ALWAYS correct an estimated bill with a telephone reading, I don't want in under or over estimated either way.

We owe a silly piddling amount on gas (ABOUT £30), so I've increased that DD to £20 from £15. That will cover our arrears - £30 over 2 years & the £1.50 per month that we already use, that we haven't been paying for in the DD.

The electric:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

We pay £50 DD, we owe £226:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

So over the last 24 months we have under paid £9.42 per month:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have changed that DD to £70 per month.

I plan to shave £20 per month off that bill & thats £50 for usage & £20 off the arrears. So I will pay it off over the next 12 months.

So how much do you use?

Did I forget to mention I live in a two bed semi (a large two bed, but no bigger than a regular 3 bed). Three adults (me, DH & grown up DD) all out at work all day mon to fri. Gas CH & hot water.

Whats going on:mad:

Comments

  • Lillys_mum
    Lillys_mum Posts: 581 Forumite
    I have just this morning had my bill through from e.on.

    We moved into our brand new 3 bed semi on 4th March bill is from then until 20th May and they have estimated we have used 19units = £9.33

    I have still to go and read the meter but surely that cannot be right.
    The gas is just for central heating/water
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,161 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Just tried uswitch, it says I can save nearly £200 per year by switching to this one

    Click Energy 5 Dual Fuel
      <LI class=output-conditions>You must agree to paperless billing
    • You must manage your account online
    • MrsE_2
      MrsE_2 Posts: 24,161 Forumite
      10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
      Lillys_mum wrote: »
      I have just this morning had my bill through from e.on.

      We moved into our brand new 3 bed semi on 4th March bill is from then until 20th May and they have estimated we have used 19units = £9.33

      I have still to go and read the meter but surely that cannot be right.
      The gas is just for central heating/water

      You need to give them a reading.
    • notbritishgas
      notbritishgas Posts: 2,321 Forumite
      Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
      MrsE wrote: »
      Been living here 2 years.

      I ALWAYS correct an estimated bill with a telephone reading, I don't want in under or over estimated either way.

      We owe a silly piddling amount on gas (ABOUT £30), so I've increased that DD to £20 from £15. That will cover our arrears - £30 over 2 years & the £1.50 per month that we already use, that we haven't been paying for in the DD.

      The electric:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

      We pay £50 DD, we owe £226:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

      So over the last 24 months we have under paid £9.42 per month:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

      I have changed that DD to £70 per month.

      I plan to shave £20 per month off that bill & thats £50 for usage & £20 off the arrears. So I will pay it off over the next 12 months.

      So how much do you use?

      Did I forget to mention I live in a two bed semi (a large two bed, but no bigger than a regular 3 bed). Three adults (me, DH & grown up DD) all out at work all day mon to fri. Gas CH & hot water.

      Whats going on:mad:

      Hello MrsE, Your figures seem very strange, the gas at £20 per month for a house with Gas heating and water is very very low, even accounting for the fact that you are out all day.
      Whilst your electric at £70 is quite high, although I do not know what high energy appliances you use.
      However the total of £90 a month, £1080 a year is about average.(perhaps a little high as you work all day)
    • MrsE_2
      MrsE_2 Posts: 24,161 Forumite
      10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
      Hello MrsE, Your figures seem very strange, the gas at £20 per month for a house with Gas heating and water is very very low, even accounting for the fact that you are out all day.
      Whilst your electric at £70 is quite high, although I do not know what high energy appliances you use.
      However the total of £90 a month, £1080 a year is about average.(perhaps a little high as you work all day)

      That £20 PM for gas is an annual figure, so its not much in summer & lots of use in winter.

      The electric used has been £60 PM, I've changed the DD to £70 to pay the arrears off. I plan to get my usage down to about £50 PM.

      We have an electric shower, the DW is cold fill (as are most) & if you use the 40 degree wash in the WM (as most are) it does it on cold fill.
      So a lot of the hotwater is actually heated by electric rather than the gas.

      Actually its such a waste me heating a full tank of hot water, when we use so little. But its an old boiler, not a combi so you have to heat a full tank.
    • notbritishgas
      notbritishgas Posts: 2,321 Forumite
      Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
      MrsE wrote: »
      That £20 PM for gas is an annual figure, so its not much in summer & lots of use in winter.

      The electric used has been £60 PM, I've changed the DD to £70 to pay the arrears off. I plan to get my usage down to about £50 PM.

      We have an electric shower, the DW is cold fill (as are most) & if you use the 40 degree wash in the WM (as most are) it does it on cold fill.
      So a lot of the hotwater is actually heated by electric rather than the gas.

      Actually its such a waste me heating a full tank of hot water, when we use so little. But its an old boiler, not a combi so you have to heat a full tank.
      True, but £240 is about the same as one of my winter quarters bills.What is your annual consumption in Kwh, the average with heating is about 20000.
    • MrsE_2
      MrsE_2 Posts: 24,161 Forumite
      10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
      True, but £240 is about the same as one of my winter quarters bills.What is your annual consumption in Kwh, the average with heating is about 20000.

      After I saw your post, I tried to ring them back, to find out my annual usage for each one, but they were closed.
      Will do it Tuesday.

      Thank you.
    This discussion has been closed.
    ★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

    🚀 Getting Started

    Hi new member!

    Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

    Categories

    • All Categories
    • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
    • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
    • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
    • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
    • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
    • 179K Life & Family
    • 263.5K Travel & Transport
    • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
    • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
    • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

    Is this how you want to be seen?

    We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.