Help

Options
for valentines day last year my now ex partner brought me a rado watch which i belive cost him around £950 ( he had shown my sister online to get her opinion so she took a look at the price).

The watch was purchased from Ernest Jones but i do not know which branch.

I went to get the battery replaced today and got to the shop and could not find it. I have searched everywhere, in the car, at work, re-traced my steps and it seems to have vanished. I cant think of where else to look?

I currently live with my parents who have said if it does not turn up that i can claim on thier home insurance.

As i have never done this i'm not sure how it works? I do not have the receipt as i did not purchase it? I'm also not on speaking terms with my ex partner so cannot obtain his bank statement as proof of purchase. Will this cause a problem?

I'm also quite worried of this effecting my parents premiums?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• *MF*
    *MF* Posts: 3,113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi ... your comments show that you understand the likely expectations that an Insurer would have, a receipt, proof of purchase etc - and you are correct not to underestimate those difficulties.

May I suggest some first steps:

1: Scour all the photographs taken since you had the watch for at least one photo which shows you wearing it.

2: With that, (and even without it) go to Ernest Jones and identify the watch, and if possible see if they have a catalogue which shows it, or get a written note from them describing the watch and the replacement price - so that you have these to send to the Insurer.

3: Report the loss to the police, and obtain written confirmation of that report.

It is not unusual for things to turn up - so you are right to leave some time for it to do so - but the above steps will be the minimum necessary steps (imo) if it doesn't.

No one can predict the result on your parents' premium - it depends on the Insurer and any other claims they may have had.

Tricky position re your ex understood - but if in the end it proves necessary - could your sister or parents contact your ex?

Hope this helps - but do not underestimate the hurdles you may face.
    If many little people, in many little places, do many little things,
    they can change the face of the world.

- African proverb -
  • davidwatts
    davidwatts Posts: 354 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry if it's stating the obvious but you should make sure that your parents have Personal Possessions cover in the first place as this type of loss won't be covered if they only have standard contents cover.

Chances are they will if they've told you you could claim but best to check.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure