New Post Advanced Search

Email scam

4 replies 987 views
angelcakeangelcake Forumite
4.5K posts
Is this right.....that you can tell the ebay email is a scam by seeing that it is signed from ebay.com when you are signed with ebay.co.uk ....and that the spelling like Harbor is in fact american..... because I would spell it harbour

Also I have had an email with mistaes such as understading ...instead of understanding.
:p:p Angel :p:p

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this right.....that you can tell the ebay email is a scam by seeing that it is signed from ebay.com when you are signed with ebay.co.uk ....and that the spelling like Harbor is in fact american..... because I would spell it harbour

Also I have had an email with mistaes such as understading ...instead of understanding.

Not entirely, ebay is an American organisation so will routinely use American spelling. I am registered with Ebay.uk but do still get routine e mails from ebay.com.

The onyl way to stay safe is to never ever follow a link in an email. If ebay want you to do something they will tell you to log into your account as normal, without following links in a mail, and sort it out that way.

Finally, spelling, even ebay.uk have their bad days!

Soo
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • maryleemarylee Forumite
    497 posts

Not entirely, ebay is an American organisation so will routinely use American spelling. I am registered with Ebay.uk but do still get routine e mails from ebay.com.

The onyl way to stay safe is to never ever follow a link in an email. If ebay want you to do something they will tell you to log into your account as normal, without following links in a mail, and sort it out that way.

I am not sure whether this is a scam, I got an e-mail from e-bay com about an item I was watching with the wrong price and a very official link. I also receive an e-mail from daily status watch from e-bay co.uk. I was not sure what to do therefore deleted the watch from e-bay com, it's so strange that the item was £4.99, and it says £4.49. When I put an item on watch, I always get an e-mail from e-bay with a link, does that mean I should not clicking on this link if I want to bid.
    Finally, spelling, even ebay.uk have their bad days!

Soo
  • svmitchesvmitche Forumite
    592 posts
    Check your preferences in My ebay and see whether you have item watches etc turned on.

You can most times tell a spoof email if you hover over the link (if using web email) if it comes up with something that is not ebay.com or ebay.co.uk do not visit it and forward the email to [email protected].

In regards to the item with the changed price, is it an item on sale from the US? If so, the exchange rate may be causing the oddity.
    I'm so sexy it's a wonder my underpants don't explode.
  • ebay or paypal will never ever ask you to confirm any details thro email or thro a email link...the only"From ebay" email i read are the 1p listing day ones.
    Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support