Good cheap conditioner - dry hair!

~Hello~

I have reallllllllly dry frizzy hair!! After years of dying it and lately perming it too...(why oh why did i have it done?!) it has rebelled and become a mass of frizz!!!

I need a good conditioner than i can use everyday. I have to wash my hair every day (I know its bad for it) because it gets horribly greasy at the roots, even if i dont condition it.

So does anyone use a really good conditioner? I would prefer quite a cheap one - and i have heard that supermarkets own brands are actually better because the 'better known' ones add goodness knows what to your hair which just coats it rather than nourish it -

Ok, sorry the read is a bit confusing!! :rotfl:
:starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
:starmod: :staradmin :starmod:

Comments

• Personally I use Tresemme, but only because I was having a 'I'm posh' moment at the time I bought it.

I can't see any problems with using an own-brand cheapy one, but from experience it took ages for my hair to get back to halfway decent when it was really dry, and what I found really helped was using one of those serum thingies that are supposed to make your hair shiny - I use a Fructis one and it's fab - but presumably there are ones out there specifically for permed/damaged hair.

Kate
  • I have very curly, frizzy damaged hair... any problem my hair has apart from greasy...

I tend to use the Tresemme sleek serum in the tiny bottle when i have a very posh moment.

When i have a meidumm posh moment, it is the Shadez range (avail at Asda)

When i go to work, i just use the cheap own brand conditioners. Dont care if my curls look untamed and dry and crap, it is only work, I am never gona be promoted on my good looks.
    "Don't cry, Don't Raise your Eye
    It's only teenage wasteland"
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Aussie 5 minute miracle is fantastic! I use it once a week, as my hair is waist length so it gets dry on the ends.

It's about a £5 for a bottle, but it lasts for ages, or you can buy a one use sachet. I think they are around £1.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • rushnowt
    rushnowt Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    Someone on here once recommended the boots own brand conditioner the really cheap one so I got a couple of bottles when i was in town a few months ago, I must admit I was really impressed with it for the price. It's not my usual conditioner but everyone tried it and it made everyones hair really soft, but like you my hair tends to go frizzy with it being naturally curly so I go for the most expensive brands thinking theyre gonna be better, but they arn't neccessarily so. I picked up a Schwarzkopf one in B&M bargains a few weeks ago for 49p r.r.p of £3.99 its a 3 minutes intensive deep conditioning one and is brilliant, if you've got a B&M store nearby I'd say pop in and have a look they have some great prices on toiletries
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission ;)

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing :p

• I have very dry, curly hair and I only use afro products on it (even though I'm white!)

If you go to any afro shop (not just the hair salons) you'll find some good stuff, and it's usually cheaper than the known brands and in bigger bottles so they last longer.

I bought all my stuff in Holland, but I know they sell the same brands here, even in Norwich! I use:

Fantasia anti frizz shampoo (smels lovely, is gentle and removes build up) Fantasia Aloe Vera conditioner (really rich and gives a good shine) or Dark n Lovely conditioner (very creamy and is cheap!)
    And after washing, while hair is still wet I scrunch in a tiny bit f coconut oil conditioner (an almost solid coconut wax that melts into your hands and smells divine!) into the ends only as it's too rich to use all over. This is the ONLY thing that stops my hair getting frizzy, and I've tried EVERYTHING! It's dirt cheap and lasts ages.
  • rushnowt
    rushnowt Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    Hi Iffy'swifey,

found your post really interesting, I've been searching on the interent for these products but can't seem to find them :( i'm especially interested in the coconut oil conditioner, do you know what brand it is please, I'd love to get hold of some.

Also I've never seen an afro shop anywhere, although I must admit I've never looked before, i'm in the north west just outside manchester so anywhere around that area would be fine, if anyone knows of any afro shops I'd be really greatful if you could let me know.

thanks x
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission ;)

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing :p

• slinks
    slinks Posts: 698 Forumite
    Original source usually helps my dry hair. Normally just under £3 but u can get full size bottles in Poundland or they're 99p in Half Price or Less. Spearmint flavour smells like childhood!! :)
  • I have no idea what afro shops are in your area, but a website that stocks all the brands I use is:

http://www.afroshack.co.uk/

I have no idea how good this site is as I've never used it, but the prices are OK and they have a good range.

They have the Pro-line coconut oil conditioner that I use, but in a much smaller size than I have so not quite as economical. But don't use it like a normal conditioner. Use it AFTER conditioning, while hair is still wet, on the ends then maybe wipe any excess over the hair surface...it's just too rich to use anywhere else, even on my dry hair! Also check out the African Royale Miracle Oil Moisturiser. It smells gorgeous! But only use a tiny bit.

If there's an African supermarket/small shop near you, you might even find some of the hair products in there too, many do.

I love afro hair stuff, it's much better quality, more economical and they usually smell better too. Good luck.
  • frizz_head
    frizz_head Posts: 7,339 Forumite
    I have tried practically every product on the market! I have very very frizzy hair - but like to wear it sleek and straight (with the help of GHDs). But, I have never ever found a 'cheapy' conditioner to ever be as good as a more expensive one. I would love to be proved wrong on this point.

I use John Freidas Frizz Ease Intensive Conditioner (in a tub) everyday, and once I have rinsed that off I use Frizz Ease Serum (on soaking wet hair). I then blow dry and straighten as normal.

It works for me!
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.:A
    20 pints donated! :j:j
  • Becles wrote:
    Aussie 5 minute miracle is fantastic! I use it once a week, as my hair is waist length so it gets dry on the ends.

It's about a £5 for a bottle, but it lasts for ages, or you can buy a one use sachet. I think they are around £1.

Boots have got Aussie hair products on 3 for 2 at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure