How bad is your accommodation going to be really?

Options
Hello All,
Not sure whether this has been posted somewhere else, i haven't seen it anywhere.

Before i book my holiday / accommodation i ALWAYS check on this web site, it gives you honest and frank answers about most of the hotels, villas and private houses & it also gives information about all the resorts that you will probably ever stay in.

Just click on what country you are visiting and then the resort, it will then bring up all of the hotels in that area (Well most of them anyway!)

Thought it may help some of you that are not too sure about where to go.

Thanks

https://www.holidays-uncovered.co.uk

Comments

• Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I too often use these sites and a few others to check up on accommodation we are planning on booking.

BUT...please please please do always take these reviews with a pinch of salt. Sadly a lot are posted by the great British holidaymaker who expects to be served English food and find no one apart from other british holidaymakers where they are going and that everyone will speak English. For carribbean holidays a similar site is https://www.carribbeanresortreviews.com and this is populated by the very similar American holidaymaker. The best tip is to find as much info about the hotel you are planning on booking and then start comparing reviews against the points. A lot of negative reviews can often be based on people not taking care when researching accommodation in first places. Common examples I've come across in negative reviews of places we;ve subsequently found to be excellent or as expected are poor choice/selection of food in hotels stating 1 buffet restaurant, too much walking involved in resort hotels whose main selling point is that they have expansive grounds tohighlight local flora/fauna/nature, complaints that a beach was too small and man-made at a hotel stating it had a man made beach as coastline was pure rock cliff and unaccessible, entire hotel staff not being able to speak English in Carribbean/Turkey/Greece especially(do chambermaids/waiters all need to be fluent honestly?), I even recall the sea was too cold once.....

where possible always try and have an open opinion and go where the balance appears to be favourable, whilst inevitably some people may occasionnally suffer a poor holiday, I think within reason most people should be able to have a great holiday if they do a bit of research and then ....chilllll....you're on holiday remember! :D
  • TRAVELMAN_2
    TRAVELMAN_2 Posts: 864 Forumite
    Options
    :D

These sites provide a rough idea of weather the accom. is c**p or not-no more no less.

Obviously if ALL or 95% slate it then best avoided-but if say there are 18 reviews & 3 are bad you MUST take it with a pinch of salt.

I booked a lady to the Sunmarotel Calimera Ermones Hotle in Corfu-a nice 4* all-inclusive. She phoned me up & said 'I've seen reviews on xxxxx' ' & it says bathroom is mouldy...etc..food is bad'.

Well there were plenty of other reviews saying it was fine/great!!

As she's a regular I tried to find an alternative (Agents do not have to do this-just a customer care thing)-but all was full or too expensive.

She went-nervously & phoned me on arrival to say it was GREAT!!!

Now if the internet you that if I booked you in to XXX Hotel your guareanteed a night of passion with Kylie Minogue-would you beleive it??! I think not! (Shame!)

If you think that an average Hotel in Majorca has 300 people in it & then view these sites....if the Hotels were SO bad there'd be 100's of posts but no....

Another thing to remember is that holidaysuncovered is not moderated-anyone can post anything & odds are it won't be checked! We've had cases where rival AGENTS have slated a particular Hotel that they could not get a contract with!

The worst thing that happened recently is that a customer refused to book a fab deal to Rhodes (to a Hotel i know of!) because there was NO review on the web-her argument was 'well it must be c**p if it's not on xxxxxx review site'!  

Get a grip guys & girsls...it's easy to think the web is real-life!!

Best site in my opinion is holidaytruths as it's MODERATED-people can SEE whose posted & IP addresses are logged!

I completely agree with the previous poster about us brits & our habits....'I'm not going to that Hotel as there are germans there'-HELLO!! get a life!
    Rant over...beer is needed!

Chris
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family