PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I need help with this recipe....

Options
Hi,

Right i'm cooking our anniversary dinner tonight and I decided to make this quick curry from a recipe off here, I have all the ingredients but i'm worried that I don't know what amounts to use. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!

Here is the recipe, I hope you don't mind me putting it in my post? Thank you so much if you can help me! XXX

Ingredients:

Mushrooms

Chicken (breast or portions)

Curry spice mix (one tbsp per serving plus one for the pot)

Cream, wine, milk, yoghurt (any comination of any number)

Cornflour

Rice

Instructions:

Start some water to boil for the rice

Chop the mushroom and place it in a moderate heat with a drop or two of oil of your choice.

Quickly cut the chicken (meat only) into small slivers and add to the mushroom.

Simmer gently (may need to add more oil to coat everything) stirring occasionally to make sure allt he pink bits of the chicken turn white...

..meanwhile put cream and/or white wine and/or yoghurt and some cornflour into a whizzer and whizz it.

When the chicken bits are all white ie sealed (and if they're small they're pretty much cooked already) add at least two tablespoons of any form of ready mixed curry spices (my favourites are Thai and bombay) and stir well.

When the water for the rice is boiling add the rice.

Add the cream mix to the chicken, bring the heat up to boil and then down again to gently simmer.

By the time the rice is done - so is the chicken

You can MAKE this faster than the recipe takes to read

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Options
    That sounds like Squeaky's recipe, I wonder if he's still online to see this :think:

Edit: yes he is so hopefully he'll spot this and be along to help out in a moment :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• purplegirluk1
    Options
    Yes it is CQ, I was going to PM him but I thought I would post on here cos I was a little worried that It might be rude to ask! Fingers crossed he can help or my OH will be a bit hungry, hee hee.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok here goes... watch this space _ I'll edit:-

Essentially it's all based on portion sizes with the only real measurement being the tablespoons of the curry mix of your choice - and that amount is quite mild so if you prefer your curries stronger you can double up.

So sort out enough chicken per person that you might give them whole on a plate. A handful of mushrooms per person.

I'd say about a quarter pint per person of liquid(s) of your choice with about a lightly rounded dessert spoon of cornflour per portion.

Hmm... what else...? :)

The rice: I usually bung a coffee mug full per two portions into LOTS of water and boil it vigourously for 14 minutes. Strain via a seive and put it back in the pan on a miserly heat for a few minutes while getting people to the table, decanting the curry into a serving dish etc. Stir the rice with a frok before decanting out of the pan. :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • purplegirluk1
    Options
    Yay squeaky to the rescue, thanks!!

So do I want to use equal amounts of cream and yogart?
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yay squeaky to the rescue, thanks!!

So do I want to use equal amounts of cream and yogart?
    In ANY proportion you like. No two of these curries are ever quite the same :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • purplegirluk1
    Options
    Thanks so much, I think I was just having a bit of a wobble, I get so worried that I will mess things up and its our anniversary so I want everything to be perfect!

I will give it a go and fingers crossed I will be able to report back on how it went and what my OH though. Do you think it can be frozen? I was just wondering if I should make up more than I need so that we can have it another day.

Thanks again Squeaky you have saved the day!
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks so much, I think I was just having a bit of a wobble, I get so worried that I will mess things up and its our anniversary so I want everything to be perfect!

I will give it a go and fingers crossed I will be able to report back on how it went and what my OH though. Do you think it can be frozen? I was just wondering if I should make up more than I need so that we can have it another day.

Thanks again Squeaky you have saved the day!
    You're very welcome and yes, you can freeze it. :)
  • purplegirluk1
    Options
    Well our anniversary diner is over now and I have to say it went down very well! It was the first time I had ever made a curry from scratch and my OH said that he much prefered it to a shop bought jar, brilliant or what! Thanks for the recipe and the help, I couldn't have done it without you. I am so glad that I have learnt these OS ways and we are eating so much better these days.

Just as a note, I didn't use chicken I used Quorn peices and it worked really well. I made twice as much and the other half is sitting in the freezer for in the week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure