New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Winter Fuel Allowance

edited 10 November 2009 at 11:33AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
10 replies 20.5K views
hansihansi Forumite
3K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 10 November 2009 at 11:33AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
When is this actually paid and is it direct into ban accounts?

Update Nov 2009:

See the updated news story for the answers to this question

Winter Fuel Payment Help

Replies

• From The Pension Service Winter Fuel Payments website

Winter Fuel Payments for 2004/05 will be made automatically over a number of weeks from mid-November 2004. So don't worry if you receive your payment at a different time to someone else in your household or other people who live near you.

However if you haven't got yours before xmas do get onto them.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • hansihansi Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Ted :)
  • Jo4Jo4 Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is no help for the under 60s, isn't that right?
  • rushnowtrushnowt Forumite
    24.7K posts
    Hiya Jo

Winter fuel allowance i'm sure is just for people aged 60 or above in the qualifying period ended -26th Sept for the 04/05 year , and normally living in the UK. however i do beleive there is a cold weather payment for i.s claimants if the temperature drops below a certain temp over a set period of time, they used to just pay this without making a claim. been a long time, so maybe things have changed, but i'm sure there will be info on the benefits agency website.  Sorry i couldn't be of more help  ???

edited as i had originally given misleading information
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission ;)

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing :p

• Jo4Jo4 Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    rushnowt Thanks for your prompt response and your help! It is appreciated! :D
  • Do you get any help with fuel costs if your disabled ?
  • Hapless_2Hapless_2 Forumite
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    leolady wrote: »
    Do you get any help with fuel costs if your disabled ?

Nope, and there is a big hoo-haa going on about it as the pension credit is paid even if they don't winter in the UK (I know this as one chap in the village gets his and bogs off to Spain each November for 6 months). Where as if you are disabled and can't move around much, tough!
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • MorglinMorglin Forumite
    15.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no extra help with for disabled - despite a long running campaign so that there is.:rolleyes:

It is for over 60's only, and it doesn't matter how fit you are, or what income you have.

It's generally paid into accounts around November time.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • margaretclaremargaretclare Forumite
    10.8K posts
    Yes, it gets paid into your account mid-to late November. If there are 2 of you, you get half each i.e. £100 each drops into the account into which you receive your state pension. If you live alone then you get £200.

Don't even get me started on this. I am one of the people who receives it but would rather not. I agree that there are many people who deserve it more than I do. Why November anyway - it's not as if we buy our winter fuel in advance, like buying a cellar-full of coal. We pay for gas and electricity by monthly direct debit, same winter and summer so £100 each in November is neither here nor there. However, many people see it differently. The argument goes, that older people like us are terrified of 'big bills' coming in that they'd rather freeze than put the heating on. Younger people feel differently. Or so I've been told.

For the people who go to Spain for the winter, apparently it does get cold there too.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • minimadtrixminimadtrix Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    leolady wrote: »
    Do you get any help with fuel costs if your disabled ?

Like everyone else is saying, no you can't, but I just wanted to have a rant because my hubby is disabled and needs warmth to keep him going. Not that I begrudge my over 60s parents getting it, but hubby needs it more than they do and it really gets on my wick that the Government don't acknowledge this!! :mad:

Thanks for listening, I feel better for that now!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support