We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

the British Gas rip off

sjrinteriors
sjrinteriors Posts: 49 Forumite
Im sick of being shafted by utilities in this country..

I moved into new house beginning of March 08 and received my first gas bill on the 7th April for £150...... I repeat £150 for the month.. at first I thought it was a joke, but it appears to be correct..

OK so I thought, lets turn it all down and turn the heating off as the weather is so mild... for the last 6 weeks the only time the gas has been used is when hot water has been required (combi-boiler).. This time the billis £85 for a month, which I still think is high just for water.. The heating has not been on at all over the last 6 weeks...

So I phone BG and ask to pay monthly DD and Im told I have to pay £150/month just for the gas... I mean come on.. where the hell did they pluck that figure from.. we are coming into summer months now and it should not be necessary to have the heating on... Who is taking the p*ss here!!!

So I said blow the DD and I will pay on receipt of bill.... I also found out that they had me on their highest priced plan... bunch of lying barstewards..

Personally I think this country is going to the dogs.. no one seems to have the balls to stand up to these companies anymore who are ripping us off.. Gas, electric, petrol etc etc.. where will it end...

Comments

  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,075 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    How many kWh have you used?

    I assume you accurately read the meter when you moved in and checked it carefully against the first bill? and are not paying for the previous occupants gas?

    Presumably you are on BG's standard tariff? - which would be normal if you don't specify what tariff you want.

    You did ask not to be on standard tariff I suppose?
  • iyiarz
    iyiarz Posts: 257 Forumite
    Sounds like something is very wrong... I've never had to pay anywhere near that price a month for Gas... :/
  • Yes the reading was taken correctly when we moved in. . Im not daft tho, and being an engineer Im well aware that there must be some issue with the boiler. Even when set to lowest temp, the rads are boiling, even wiv the TRV;s turned down. The boiler seems to have no control at all.. Based on the price that BG are charging on this tariff, which is 0.06151p for the first 213 Kw and 0.0258p thereafter.. According to the reading the bill of £150/month was correct.

    What I do know is that during that months period, even when the heating was on, it was only on for 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening. Having worked out what the boiler should consume, £150 is unbelieveable.

    We have taken daily reading on the meter without any gas usage and it stays constant, so the meter is fine..

    Time for the boiler engineer to come out and do a full check me thinks.
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    So, not really a British Gas rip off then.
    You've said that you've used the gas, and yes you are on their standard price but you can change that easily.

    If you are using that much gas you will get big bills from any supplier.
    First step is to get your boiler serviced.
  • sjrinteriors
    sjrinteriors Posts: 49 Forumite
    You dont say!!!!!!!!

    And when I say rip-off Im talking in general terms.. The price of heating a house is a RIP-OFF and BG are one of the worst culprits.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ...I moved into new house beginning of March 08 and received my first gas bill on the 7th April for £150...... I repeat £150 for the month...

    ...So I phone BG and ask to pay monthly DD and Im told I have to pay £150/month just for the gas... I mean come on.. where the hell did they pluck that figure from...

    Well if you can't work that one out for yourself, I'm not sure anyone here can help you. :rolleyes:
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.