Incapacity Situ when student daughter ends course?

Options
I am on income support but also get incapacity benefit. It is going to be long term but I do not qualify for DLA at the moment.

My daughter will end her course at Uni. in June and I'm wondering how things will effect us... I have an endowment mortgage which the ben agency pay quite a bit of the interest, they do not pay it all I don't know why but it's the way it is worked out, something to do with the average interest rate I'm not sure. I have to make up the rest of which is already behind quite a lot so I'm paying more interest on the interest. I also have to pay the endowment. Also I am exempt for council tax at the moment as my daughter has a certificate from the Uni. that I have to send to them but that runs out of course when she leaves uni.

I am worrying a lot about what to expect. I don't want my daughter to have to move out of home so early after leaving uni. I at least want her to find her feet and not feel like she has to leave because of the financial situation... I have no savings and neither does she, she has max overdraft that she will have to deal with when the course is over and of course her student loan but I know that’s not to be paid till she’s working

I don't know how I will stand as far as the ben agency are concerned... if they will reduce my payments any more and if the mortgage interest will be effected and then there’s the council tax its quite high here and even with the money I'm on now I'm really struggling to keep my head above water and pay the basics

I don't want to load on my daughter to have to pay what I lose in benefit because she’s staying at home for a while as I'm sure it's going to be a big amount I'll lose. She wouldn’t be able to afford it as she won’t earn that much for a while and that’s if and when she gets a job. She's 21 in summer and the career path she’s going into does not pay that much plus it's hard to get into although I know she will take anything until she finds what she really wants, she will not go unemployed

I have been worrying about it and thinking I should try to get back into work because I know we wont be able to cope but I know I'm not well enough and it's in reality a stupid idea

Will the ben agency approach me as soon as my daughter leaves Uni.? I also have a loan through the ben agency that is being deducted from my money every week and water rates too are deducted as I got into arrears with them because the water services made an error on my bills for about 2 years resulting in me being sent into arrears which I wasn't aware of. Also 3 overdrafts I'm trying to clear off

Any advice would be appreciated, I just want some idea what to expect. I didn't want to ask the ben agency directly

Thanx Lady_K
Thanx

Lady_K

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lady_K,

As far as Council Tax is concerned, if you are on Income Support you should get that paid in full.

Your daughter will be able to sign on for Jobseekers Allowance while she is looking for work.

I'm not sure what benefits you are talking about losing?

Why not go to your local CAB or other welfare benefits advisor and discuss it with them - even though you think you aren't entitled to DLA at the moment, they might think you are and help you with a claim too and tell you about any other benefits available to you.
    Will the ben agency approach me as soon as my daughter leaves Uni.?

The onus is on the claimant to tell them about any changes in circumstances that may affect benefits.

I don't know about the mortgage side of things - have you posted on the mortgage board? You might get some useful advice there - perhaps you can change your mortgage or something.

Whatever income your daughter has she will still be able to contribute something to the household. I have asked about what is a reasonable amount on the discussion board. Click here to see it.

You don't mention if you have any other debts - if so, CAB etc. could help with them. Also if you haven't told the DSS about other money you owe and do now, perhaps they will reduce the payments that are taken from your benefits? It's worth a try anyway.

You might also contact any agencies that exist to do with the condition that means you are on Incapacity Benefit, they might have some useful advice. Perhaps do a web search if you don't know any in your area.

If you happen to be in the Severn/Trent water area, the Severn Trent Trust fund can help people with difficulties paying water. I don't know whether this exists in any other water areas.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Fran, thanx for the reply

By losing benefits I mean with my daughter leaving uni if she is working I think they take into consideration the fact that she would be living in the household so she would be contributing for being there. I think they reduce benefits to me for that regardless of what amount she pays. I think it includes reducing anything they help me with towards housing aswell but I'm not sure by how much.

If my daughter signs on at the job center till she gets a job I think I'll no longer be classed as a single claimant because she is here and they will probably reduce to couple allowance I think and I feel sure that might effect the housing payments too.

The council tax gives me exemption but not for my daughter once she leaves uni because they thought she left last June and sent me a bill in the summer until I got a student council tax form to cover her but that runs out in june too. I can't rem how much that bill was for but it was a lot even though my allowance part was taken off and way beyond anything I could afford.

I would have difficulty going to the CAB because getting out is part of the problem and there is not one in our town too making it even worse. I've tried ringing and it's just impossible to get through.

I tried getting the ben agency to reduce my deductions so I could pay over a longer period but as I have no dependants under 16 they would not even consider it. I have other debts too but they wont take them into consideration because they are personal debts to family

I just thought I'd ask now so that I at least will know early what to expect

Thanx
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suppose one thing is that you'll have to make it clear from the start with your daughter that she will have to pay for staying at your house as you don't want to be in a worse position. Even if she signs on, she will have to give you a contribution. You won't be reduced to a couple allowance - at the moment a couple is taken to be a heterosexual couple; she would be classed as a non-dependant. Perhaps the nearest CAB to you would do a home visit - they don't all do that but it's worth enquiring. If you can't get through to your local one you could be cheeky and try another one. Explain to them the difficulty you've had getting through. Perhaps you could write to your nearest one. If getting out is part of the problem then you could well be entitled to DLA. Let us know how you get on.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanx yes I'll try that then I'll get to speak to the CAB somehow

My daughter would always pay her way I know that but I just feel bad having to put her through all this when its really one of the most important times in her life. Really it should be me giving her all the support I can with as little stress as possible and this way isnt the ideal. I think she will actually apply for jobs even before she's left university in the field shes chosen but if all else fails she would get a bar job to at least be employed rather than start on JSA.

Thanx a lot for your advice and I'll let you know what happens :) thanx
    Thanx

Lady_K
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills