We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Credit card interest rip off

Options
I had an outstanding balance in my credit card. Subsequently before the due date, a refund was given in the credit card exceeding the outstanding balance.

At the date the outstanding became due, I was charged interest.

When I contacted the bank, I was told that refunds are not considered as credit card payments.

This does not make sense. Any ideas or people who had similar problems?

Comments

• benf90
    benf90 Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    What credit card company is it?

I suppose it all depends on what is stated in their T&Cs. The only one of my credit cards that I've had a refund on is my Egg Money card. The refund arrived between the statement date and the payment due date, like yours.

In that case it was counted as a payment as they automatically adjusted my Direct Debit amount (set to pay the full balance), no interest was charged as the full balance was still cleared.

In fact, I'd forgotten that I was going to get the refund. It wasn't until I noticed Egg had taken less by Direct Debit than I thought they were going to that I checked my account online and noticed the refund.
  • maltesedog
    maltesedog Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Since I'm Maltese, its a credit card of a Maltese leading bank.

But did anyone experience such problems.. is it legal?
  • jtwn
    jtwn Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have no idea if it is legal but RBS neither seem to believe refunds are payments. Its all a bit of joke really.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jtwn wrote: »
    I have no idea if it is legal but RBS neither seem to believe refunds are payments.
    That's because RBS will take your DD payment based on your statement balance. Any credits to the account (from whatever source) between the statement date and the payment due date will not affect the DD. This is explained in the T&C's/DD agreement they send out.
  • jtwn
    jtwn Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do not have a DD set up and this particular card.
  • aliwali
    aliwali Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I have a store card with Mothercare and it states very clearly on the back of the statement that refunds don't count towards the monthly payment, so I should still make a payment that month.
    Alison
    Fashion on a ration 0 of 66
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    maltesedog wrote: »
    I had an outstanding balance on my credit card. Subsequently, before the due date, a refund was given on the card exceeding the outstanding balance. At the date the outstanding [balance] became due, I was charged interest.

When I contacted the bank, I was told that refunds are not considered as credit card payments. This does not make sense.

If the refund related to a transaction made after your statement was printed, then it would not have formed part of your outstanding balance. You would still be expected to make at least the minimum payment required by the due date.
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    Options
    A refund isn't a payment. Your statement shows how much you are required to pay, and that is how much you are required to pay.

If you subsequently (i.e. after the statement date) get a refund transaction, and don't spend the money on your card, you can ask for a refund by cheque if necessary. But it doesn't alter your liability to pay the original amount by the due date.

Egg's approach is unusual. Most card operators do not deduct refunds from the payment due. Indeed, arguably they are breaching the DD rules by doing this as it means that they are not giving you appropriate notice of the correct DD amount. But as they always collect the amount they notify you, or less if a refund goes through, I don't think anyone is likely to complain.
  • maltesedog
    maltesedog Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    "A refund isn't a payment. Your statement shows how much you are required to pay, and that is how much you are required to pay.

If you subsequently (i.e. after the statement date) get a refund transaction, and don't spend the money on your card, you can ask for a refund by cheque if necessary. But it doesn't alter your liability to pay the original amount by the due date."

Thank you for your clarification. I do not understand the reasining behind it. I think its a rip off. I am going to raise a complaint at the local financial services authority.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maltesedog wrote: »
    I am going to raise a complaint at the local financial services authority.
    You'll have to make an official complaint to the provider first, wait 8 weeks, and get a 'deadlock letter', before the FOS (not the FSA) will entertain your complaint.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport