We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

SAT NAV -whats the vest value for money

2

Comments

  • AdrianHi wrote: »
    Yes I think that's what will suit you.
    In the Garmin range that means the entry level Nuvi 250 (has Euro maps) £94 at Amazon right now
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000OV16MQ/ref=nosim?tag=econv-1-565-21
    There is a Nuvi 200 but that does not have Euro maps and seems to come at the same price anyway.

    My 65 year old Mum uses the equivalent UK maps only Tom Tom (no extra bells and whistles to confuse her) and manages to navigate her way from Hampshire to Glasgow with it, so this must be good too.

    thanks

    i take it that its just not possible to buy a uk map version only, and then download a french map as and when needed?
    Please take the time to have a look around my Daughter's website www.daisypalmertrust.co.uk
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
  • AdrianHi
    AdrianHi Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    thanks

    i take it that its just not possible to buy a uk map version only, and then download a french map as and when needed?
    The Nuvi 200 and 250 are the same hardware. When you hook up your sat. nav. to the computer with the PC software installed there is a process in which you set up a web site accout with Garmin.
    You receive map updates (first 12 month subscription included with your purchase) and software updates this way.
    You can buy the Europe map (they don't just "France"). I've just checked what it would cost me to get Europe maps on my 310D and they want £51 + VAT.
    The point is, you could get a 200 and get the Euro maps later, but I think it might cost you more to do it that way.
  • AdrianHi wrote: »
    The Nuvi 200 and 250 are the same hardware. When you hook up your sat. nav. to the computer with the PC software installed there is a process in which you set up a web site accout with Garmin.
    You receive map updates (first 12 month subscription included with your purchase) and software updates this way.
    You can buy the Europe map (they don't just "France"). I've just checked what it would cost me to get Europe maps on my 310D and they want £51 + VAT.
    The point is, you could get a 200 and get the Euro maps later, but I think it might cost you more to do it that way.



    ok, understood thanks
    Please take the time to have a look around my Daughter's website www.daisypalmertrust.co.uk
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,920 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I have a simple and cheap tomtom one 99,00 quid from amazon, just the uk and ireland version, and i have found it hard to beat, don't need or want the bluetooth as have a proper car kit for that.

    great simple and easy to use.

    Regards

    GD
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • Melodyx
    Melodyx Posts: 81 Forumite
    Need to buy a sat nav for my partner's birthday, he wants one that speaks the street names and suggested the Garmin 350 - does anyone know anything about this one or can suggest a different model with this feature as this is the feature he really wants. Thank you!
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    One thing to remember if you are getting a new mobile on Contract, Some Nokia's come with GPS built in. you can use Nokia's own Basic GPS software. But you can buy a 7 day subscription for Navigation + voice commands (Think you can get 7 day, 1 month 1 year & 3 year subscriptions).

    You can also buy Garmin software (I use it), TomTom software (I think) as well as Navman software
    Laters

    Sol

    "Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    ive got a garmin i3 street pilot,its small and they are very cheap,especially second hand,i got mine for £50 on ebay last year.well worth it.
    ...work permit granted!
  • AdrianHi
    AdrianHi Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    S0litaire wrote: »
    One thing to remember if you are getting a new mobile on Contract, Some Nokia's come with GPS built in. you can use Nokia's own Basic GPS software. But you can buy a 7 day subscription for Navigation + voice commands (Think you can get 7 day, 1 month 1 year & 3 year subscriptions).

    You can also buy Garmin software (I use it), TomTom software (I think) as well as Navman software

    True but according to some user tests (Channel 4 gadget show comes to mind) the GPS antenna on these mobile phones is vastly inferior to what you find on a Garmin or TomTom and they take an age to lock onto satellite signals and they don't work through heat reflective windscreens the way the Garmin Nuvi 310/350 etc. does.
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    AdrianHi I've got a N95 and I use the Garmin Software as well as Nokia's own and i've never had a problem with the time to lock on to Satellites.

    Also Mobiles with GPS can use "Agps" as well as Network location

    A:GPS Helps to lock on to a fix quicker using a computer to do most of the number crunching..(uses some of you Data allowance)
    Networked Based GPS takes the info from the nearest Towers to triangulate your position.

    Both can provide fixes when not in direct line of sight of any satellites.
    Laters

    Sol

    "Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • AdrianHi
    AdrianHi Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    S0litaire wrote: »
    AdrianHi I've got a N95 and I use the Garmin Software as well as Nokia's own and i've never had a problem with the time to lock on to Satellites.
    Usefull to know, they were really struggling with it on the Channel 4 gadget show. May be the latest ones have been improved. I'm quite interested in an N95 if it is a decent sat. nav. soltution too.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.