We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

British Gas chasing for £103 from 2 years ago

annettetabs
annettetabs Posts: 180 Forumite
I wonder if anyone can help. I left British Gas in August 2006 and moved to Npower with no problems. However I keep getting letters from Robinson Way & Co chasing me for £103 which I apparently owe them. I can't find any bills saying I owe that amount and Robinson Way reckon they have sent various different people to my address to discuss the account - which they certainly have not. I am reluctant to ring them as I have had dealings with them in the past and they are not the nicest of people. How long can they keep chasing my for this supposed debt?

Comments

  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Write to them, tell them that the debt is disputed and ask for documentary evidence of the debt.

    re your question - a creditor can continue to chase a debt for 6 years. They must go to court and get a judgement against the debtor (a CCJ) within the 6 years or the debt becomes uneforecable. However, if the debtor admits the debt, the 6 years starts again.

    Hence the advice to dispute the debt - at least that way you haven't started time running again, so never admit that you owe the money.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.