balance transfer or request freezing interest?

Options
Hello,

I am new to the forum so this question may have already been asked before. My girlfriend and I have decided to look at our finances and try and get on top of everything. My girlfriend has some debt on her credit card, at present she is not managing to clear the debt because she is paying off a lot of interest. Would it make more sense to transfer the credit card to another company (for example Virgin) or should we ask the current provider to freeze the interest?

Thanks

Comments

• loveandlight
    loveandlight Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Definitely transfer to another company, ideally 0% or a low life of balance card. Asking the current provider to freeze the interest may or will damage your girlfriend's credit file. Don't do it. A person's credit rating is very precious and must be protected, so far as is possible, at all times.
  • durden
    durden Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi loveandlight,

thanks for getting back to me. I didn't realise that your credit rating can be affected by asking the credit card company to freeze the interest. I had been on some debt advice websites and they have standard letters to send to the credit card companies to request the interest is frozen, so I was a little unsure what to do.

We are going to try and find out if the balance can be transferred somewhere else.

thanks again
  • GeorgeUK
    GeorgeUK Posts: 7,737 Forumite
    Options
    Make sure you don't apply for too many at the one time. Usually 3 credit checks within a 6 month period is ok. Also, you can't transfer if the card is issued by the same card provider. ie Natwest and mint have the same card provider - RBS. This table should keep you right. http://www.stoozing.com/cards.htm
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

Dad Gift 6k ¦ Savings & Inv Tst: £2,500
    Loan 10k: £0 ¦ Dad 5.5k: £2,270 ¦ LTSB: £0 ¦ RBS: £0 ¦ Virgin £0 ¦ Egg £0

Total Owed: £2,270 (+6k) 11/08/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills