We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Can anyone offer me some advice please?

glock339
glock339 Posts: 69 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Hi everyone, I used moneysupermarket.com to switch my gas & elec last month. It recommended I change from npower's satandard tariff to npower's SOL 10 for both, which I then signed up for. Now I'm seriously thinking I should possibly be looking at a capped deal with the predicted price hikes.

Q1. Could I just do another search for a capped deal as I havent received any info to tell me I'm tied into a contract?:confused: Also I think I may have received £30 cash back from moneysupermarket.com so if I dis would this need to be paid back???

Q2. I really cant work out how the different prices/tariffs/packages actually translate into what I'll be paying so can anyone give me a ruff idea of what percentage extra I will be paying on an average capped deal compared to my SOL 10 deal?The way gas and electricity companies give info on their prices etc is all smoke and mirrors to me!:rolleyes:

Comments

  • mute_posting
    mute_posting Posts: 810 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Generally the cashback (£30) is only paid when the switch is completed and in many cases isn't payable if you "switch" to the same company (although others have had some luck) AFAIK, this doesn't need to be paid back if you switch again a few months later.

    In the case of the Scottish power 2011 fix, I bel;ieve the unit rates are the same as the unfixed, but the Standing charges (or tier 1 units on NSC tarrif) are about £1.50 per month more which is their "premium" for the fix.
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • glock339
    glock339 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Cheers for reply. £150 more per month more standing charge, thats more than I thought it would be!
  • mute_posting
    mute_posting Posts: 810 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    glock339 wrote: »
    Cheers for reply. £150 more per month more standing charge, thats more than I thought it would be!

    DOH!

    That should have been £1.50!
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • glock339
    glock339 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    :rotfl:that sounds more like it.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.