We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How many miles do you drive?

lilac_lady
lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
Now that I've retired I'm planning to use my free bus pass for shorter journeys and am going to try to limit my car use. I'm aiming for 300 miles per month to save on petrol and wear and tear etc. How many miles do you NEED to drive per month?
" The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato


Comments

  • katy-lou
    katy-lou Posts: 487 Forumite
    If we're talking about must trips 14miles a week at the moment, when I start my new job that will rocket :(
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Short journeys can increase wear and tear. Engines are designed to run on long journeys and get very warm with oil flowing everywhere and any condensation in the oil being thrown out.

    Do you mean miles per month to keep the car alive or to make it worth keeping? To keep it alive it should be fine doing 0 miles per month but the only problem will be eventually the battery will lose power when the car is not used often. But there are some solutions to this including getting a jump start battery pack thing, taking the battery out and charging it or if the car is in a garage the battery can probably just be disconnected and a charger connected.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I think it may be worth asking yourself - "do I NEED a car" ?

    You should add up all the costs of keeping the car. The running costs (petrol etc) are minimal. You need to add up all the costs.

    Depreciation in value of the car
    Loss of interest on the money you paid for the car
    Road fund licence + loss of interest on amount paid for 12 months
    Insurance + loss of interest on amount paid for 12 months
    MoT + loss of interest on amount paid for 12 months
    Tyres + servicing
    Breakdown membership + loss of interest on amount paid for 12 months
    Petrol
    Parking charges (fines !)
    I have probably missed a few as well !

    You might find it cheaper to use your bus pass to get to the supermarket and get a taxi back with the shopping. You will pay an awful lot just for the convenience of the car.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Why should anyone add parking fines to a list of costs? :rolleyes:
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Per month I do about 1700 miles, none are avoidable and none are easily done on public transport.
  • i do around 1400 miles per month of which about 300 are avoidable - picking step daughter up from work when she could get the bus and pursuit of hobbies.

    the rest are for work, 1/2 hour by car, three times that by public transport - each way!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
  • Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    1,200 a month.

    To work.

    I have no option but to drive unless I want a 4 hour per day commute
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • AdrianHi
    AdrianHi Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    I could cut out 4 miles a week to the local shops / takeaway and back (really bad for the car I know:o) if only I had the time to fix my bike in the garage, always something more urgent to do.
  • AdrianHi
    AdrianHi Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    I think it may be worth asking yourself - "do I NEED a car" ?

    You should add up all the costs of keeping the car. The running costs (petrol etc) are minimal. You need to add up all the costs.

    Depreciation in value of the car
    Loss of interest on the money you paid for the car
    Road fund licence + loss of interest on amount paid for 12 months
    Insurance + loss of interest on amount paid for 12 months
    MoT + loss of interest on amount paid for 12 months
    Tyres + servicing
    Breakdown membership + loss of interest on amount paid for 12 months
    Petrol
    Parking charges (fines !)
    I have probably missed a few as well !

    You might find it cheaper to use your bus pass to get to the supermarket and get a taxi back with the shopping. You will pay an awful lot just for the convenience of the car.
    A good exercise this, I do it for my cars. It teaches you a few important things:
    How much of your monthly income you are really loosing to the car in the long run
    That sometimes a car with a higher list price, has a lower cost of ownership
    Whether you can even afford the car you have or not
    That sometimes buying a newer car can save you money
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    lilac_lady wrote: »
    Now that I've retired I'm planning to use my free bus pass for shorter journeys and am going to try to limit my car use. I'm aiming for 300 miles per month to save on petrol and wear and tear etc. How many miles do you NEED to drive per month?

    Here's an idea...

    If you only want a car for odd days out/weekends out, why not consider hiring? With car hire firms doing small hatchbacks for ridiculously low rates on a weekend, this has to be cheaper than the running costs.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.