We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Speeding issue. HELP!!!!!
Hi all,
Sorry if I have posted in the wrong forum but I need some advice.
In July last year I was caught by a speed camera and was fined £60 and had 3 points put on my licence. When I came to look for my licence I was unable to find and stupidly didn't get in touch with them and then had a court order.
Court date was 3rd of January and no one turned up and I was told that the case had been withdrawn. Was a little shocked but thought ok and just got on with it.
Then, out of the blue, 2 weeks ago I got another summons relating to the original instance. Can they do this after such a long time? I am really confused?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry if I have posted in the wrong forum but I need some advice.
In July last year I was caught by a speed camera and was fined £60 and had 3 points put on my licence. When I came to look for my licence I was unable to find and stupidly didn't get in touch with them and then had a court order.
Court date was 3rd of January and no one turned up and I was told that the case had been withdrawn. Was a little shocked but thought ok and just got on with it.
Then, out of the blue, 2 weeks ago I got another summons relating to the original instance. Can they do this after such a long time? I am really confused?
Thanks in advance.
0
Comments
-
Go to the Pepipoo website.Happy chappy0
-
It is sometimes possible to win court cases due to the bumbling incompetence often shown by junior prosecutors assigned to speeding cases. Unfortunately, in this instance, you seem to be trying to outdo them!Hi all,
Sorry if I have posted in the wrong forum but I need some advice.
In July last year I was caught by a speed camera and was fined £60 and had 3 points put on my licence. When I came to look for my licence I was unable to find and stupidly didn't get in touch with them and then had a court order.
Court date was 3rd of January and no one turned up and I was told that the case had been withdrawn. Was a little shocked but thought ok and just got on with it.
Then, out of the blue, 2 weeks ago I got another summons relating to the original instance. Can they do this after such a long time? I am really confused?

Thanks in advance.
If I understand this correctly, you received a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty (it's not a fine, only Courts can issue those). You failed to return the paperwork, so they issued a Court summons for 3 Jan. They have 6 months from the offence date to do this, so they were inside the limit.
You say you were "told the case had been withdrawn", presumably by telephoning the Court. You were probably misinformed; if the CPS are going to withdraw a prosecution, they will write and tell you.
As you didn't turn up last time, a new hearing date has been now been set. I would strongly advise you to send back the paperwork with a guilty plea, and ask the court to deal with the case in your absence. Under "mitigating circumstances" I would explain that you fully intended to pay the fixed penalty, but mislaid your licence and forgot to send in the paperwork. They may take a lenient view, and just fine you £60 + 3 points, + £35 court costs for an uncontested case.
P.S. make sure you know where your licence is !!!
I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards