BSOD - Conflicts

Options
Hello Everyone

I keep on recieving the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). I mean everyone gets them but now it occurs constantly and is starting to Pees Me Orf. Im certain its to do with my graphics card/drivers and I was looking through the system and found this.

Conflicts/Sharing -
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

IRQ 10 Creative SB Live! series
IRQ 10 Best Data Data Fax Modem
IRQ 10 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 10 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

IRQ 11 NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
IRQ 11 Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)

Memory Address 0xD8000000-0xE7FFFFFF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
Memory Address 0xD8000000-0xE7FFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

Memory Address 0xE8000000-0xE9FFFFFF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
Memory Address 0xE8000000-0xE9FFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB VIA CPU to AGP Controller
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

Sorry didn't know how to stick an image in lol. Alot of these are the numbers/letters I get in the screen. Some are like, IRQL Not Less Than or Equal, Page fault in Non Paged Area, nv4_disp.dll and the above, Etc Etc

Think you can help us out?

Appreciate it,

Thanks

Comments

• wapow
    wapow Posts: 939 Forumite
    Options
    AnyOne? Or y'all stumped like me lol!
  • T4i
    T4i Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nv4_disp.dll is certainly your graphics card drivers.....Which drivers do you use? Ones on the CD that came with your P.C? Or newest ones avail from Nvidia site?

When do you get BSOD? Just playing games? Browsing the interweb? Opening large applications?

What operatign system do you use?

Finally, do you use SATA?
  • gavsto2005
    Options
    Your going to need to change some IRQ's, heres a walkthrough

http://www.siliconguide.com/qa/hardware/1999/october/irq.shtml

Looks to me like your graphics are 'clashing' with something else.
  • T4i
    Options
    I'd be careful with IRQ's......My Audigy sound card Firewire port shares with my ATi graphics card....

And my NIC shares with some USB devices........Never had one BSOD (touch wood)
  • gavsto2005
    Options
    You have just been lucky T4i, as I understand it an IRQ (Interrupt request) it sends an interrupt signal to the computer. The signal momentarily interrupts the compter so that it can decide which processing to do next. Since multiple signals to the computer on the same interrupt line might not be understood by the computer, a unique value must be specified for each device and it's path to the computer. If this happens and multiple signals are sent, then HI BSOD :D
  • T4i
    Options
    Anyhow, I'm going out soon so won't be around till later if your needing advice ASAP.

Just from what I know, my m8 had exactly the same BSOD as you, his would BSOD doing more or less anything......from opening MSN messenger, to browsing, to unzipping, to gaming, to listening to MP3. This only happened once he updated to a brand new AMD64 machine.....His PSU was a cheapy 350w so I replaced with xpensive 450w beast....still BSOD.

We got a replacement Nvidia 6800GT and installed with various drivers....still BSOD.

We did about 3 days of RAM testing.......not 1 problem......no heat problems....Only left one thing, when he upgraded to AMD64 he installed XP on his new SATA drive.....

hehehe.....SATA......that was the problem....the SATA cable that came with mobo was a dodgy one, must of installed XP abit dodgy.....went back to ATA (IDE) not a problem ever since....

Computers are crazy, he never got any other BSOD apart from the nv_***.dll.
  • T4i
    Options
    I thought XP manages IRQ's alot better.....I've built loads of systems....And I always look at IRQ's...

I must say 80% of them share a IRQ (if lots of hardware present) and none of my machines come back...apart from a dusty CPU cooler.

I know IRQ's were a big issue with 95, 98SE because of the lack of resources, I really did think XP resolved lots of issues with IRQ's.

I've known to be wrong before ;p
  • gavsto2005
    Options
    Totally 100% correct, BSOD is totally useless for what you get :
    Memory Address 0xD8000000-0xE7FFFFFF, YEH THANKS FOR THAT WINDOWS!
    Someone should code it so it say's,
    Hmm, Looks like your SATA cable is dodgy, but not as to inconvenience you I will crash in 60 seconds so you can finish what your doing!
  • T4i
    Options
    gavsto2005 wrote:
    Totally 100% correct, BSOD is totally useless for what you get :
    Memory Address 0xD8000000-0xE7FFFFFF, YEH THANKS FOR THAT WINDOWS!
    Someone should code it so it say's,
    Hmm, Looks like your SATA cable is dodgy, but not as to inconvenience you I will crash in 60 seconds so you can finish what your doing!

IRQ not less than or equal - Memory Address 0xD8000000-0xE7FFFFFF. XP.dll, XP.inf, XP.exe, XP.tmp, XP.everything....Should be coded to say 'You should be using Linux :p '
  • blinky
    blinky Posts: 1,684 Forumite
    Options
    From discussions I've read on the DFI Forums, these errors can often be memory related rather than driver related. If you're overclocking go back to default. Otherwise try loosening the memory timings in the BIOS.

Also try running Memtest (overnight at least, few days ideally).

Technically with PCI and later IRQ's and sharing aren't an issue. IRQ's are only assigned for legacy compatibility. PCI uses INT# lines of which there are 4 called A,B,C,D. Conventional Wisdom is to have as few pieces of hardware sharing INT lines as possible.

With Windows 2000 Professional most hardware appeared to be on IRQ 11 (except system reserved stuff like system timer) even though they weren't shared. This caused much worry and confusion with users so for XP and 2003 Microsoft changed things so they appeared more like tradional IRQ.

On legacy systems you had 16 IRQ with 15 usable as 2/9 were shared (it was a cascade between the two Interrupt controller chips). On my current system my IRQ run from 0-23 with a couple shared without any issues.
    Hug provider for depression thread :grouphug:
    "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell.." - Unwell by Matchbox Twenty
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family