How much credit can you ask for?

Options
Is there any way of estimating how much credit you can apply for?

I just had a call from CC company after I requested an increase and I had to name a figure. I decided to only increase by 1300 and it went through instantly, but if I'd gone too high would it be black mark on my credit history?

Comments

• dhassen
    dhassen Posts: 759 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know about black mark on your history, but how much credit you will get depends on a number of different factors: your income, your history in general and specifically with the company in question. It's really hard, impossible almost, to estimate how much credit you can apply for.

In your case, if the amount you asked for was too much, I assume they would have just said no - no mark on your credit file other than a search by them.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 784 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Matt123
    Matt123 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Ah, so would it just show as a search, it wouldn't show that you were rejected for a request for credit or something?
  • dhassen
    dhassen Posts: 759 Forumite
    Options
    No I don't think so.... if you applied for new credit and were refused, that would kind of look bad because it would be clear to other searchers that you applied for a CC with bank A but don't hold an account with bank A. I don't think it specifically states whether you where accepted or refused, but it's fairly easy to work out i.e. - if you have 7 searches on your file with different companies but only hold one account it's clear that you've been applying like mad but have been refused on a number of occasions

You're asking about a CC company you already have an account with, so I don't see why there should be any problem, or bad effect on your credit file, if you did ask for loads of credit and were refused. :)
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 784 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Matt123
    Matt123 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, that makes sense, thanks a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts