PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting out your Property

Options
I'm think of renting out my property for a short term of some two weeks.

Although I have no mortgage, but the property is leasehold.

The insurance would be adjusted to cover paying guests and a public liability applied.

Is this a problem in short term renting.

Comments

• workingboy
    workingboy Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Basically what I am asking, do I need to get the permission of the owner of the Land which my house sits on, as its leasehold to Rent out my house for 2weeks.
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    The problem with your query is that it depends on exactly what is in your lease. So the only way to check is to read it.
    It might also be worth establishing / deciding exactly how the "rental" agreement would be worded, as it can't really be a rental agreement as they are normally for a minimum period of 6 months. You're probably looking at some sort of "holiday let" agreement.
  • workingboy
    Options
    Thanks,

Any tips where to find any more info for as you say 'Holiday let agreement'.

You are right it would only be for at the most 3weeks, but working on 2weeks, not months.
  • workingboy
    Options
    Having done a brief search on the subject of a 'Holiday let' agreement.

Seen from a search, as I have to let for a min. 140 days in one year, where this is to be a one off, for two weeks only.

I do not want to claim or operate as a business for tax purposes.

I do not want to let for no more than two weeks in one particular year.

This 'Holiday let' thing will not be for a couple of years, as I am just looking into the pro's and con's.

Any help with the agreement would be appreciated.

thanks
  • Fusewire_2
    Fusewire_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    To my knowledge the minimum contract you can have is a 6 month AST, this protects both parties - the landlord has rent for 6 months (providing the tenant pays it!) - the tenant has somewhere to live for a minimum of 6 months (providing they pay the rent).

You may need to speak to a conveyancing solicitor for advice. I've seen a letting agent that used to advertise properties to let for a 2 week minimum, but never saw the contract they used. The agent has since shut down.

Why do you want someone for only two weeks? Are you going on holiday or something?
  • Bungarm2001
    Bungarm2001 Posts: 686 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds to me that you just need a house sitter or something for 2 weeks while you are away? I that case, you pay them, not them you for rent or anything else for that matter. BUT I might have thje wrong end of the stick..
  • boyse7en
    boyse7en Posts: 883 Forumite
    Options
    I suspect that he wants to rent out the house to people visiting the Olympics, or some other sporting event. This seems to happen quite a lot around Wimbledon during the tournament, so it is certainly possible. There may be letting agents who specialize in providing accommodation at such events, you could try their websites for details.
  • workingboy
    Options
    Ryder Cup 2010
  • nomoneyleft
    Options
    I advertised mine with rydercuphomerental.

its worth a go, try the free ads....
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was going to say search these forums for Ryder Cup as other people asked about this last year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport