Installing XP pro on an SATA hard drive (super techie needed)

Options
Hi, i was installing XP Pro on my brand new (nothing on it yet) computer.

My motherboard is a asus k8upgrade-1689 (bios 1.7) and i have made a diskette as decribed in the manual for SATA drives.

After it said where do you want to install it, i created a partition of 30gb (out of a 160gb hard drive) and tried installing it there.

The problem is that even though i have created and checked the floppy disk for the SATA drivers, when ever i try to install it, it says that the m5289.sys file is not there so installation cannot continue! Even though it is definitely there! (and even though in a previous stage it "successfully" copied the drivers (not sure where it copied it to though)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a bit lost here.

You have made the floppy driver as described but XP still refuses to install itself anyhow?

I have a SATA drive (Abit motherboard though) but Abit provided a SATA driver (on floppy) so during the installation of WinXP right near the beginning it quickly asks (at the bottom of the screen) if you want to install SCSI drivers, etc. This was option F5 (or F6) and having pressed this option it loaded the SATA drivers from the floppy. From that point onwards I had no problems.
  • barginboyrob
    Options
    Thanks for replying

i know, when it says where to look for the m5289.sys file, even though it is on my floppy disk, it refuses to "see" it. I checked the bios and floppy should be read before the cd drive and the hard drive, and it is, so i don't know what the problem is
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    Options
    faulty floppy maybe? can you download the HDD install setup
    and make a new install disk?

Just a thought
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    Can you look at the contents of the floppy drive from my computer? If you can't or have intermittent problems then as Mr Skint points out, it could be your drive or even the disk (especially if its your disc and its old).

If you can look at the contents ok on the floppy, are you getting the error only when XP setup is running and you have pressed the F5 (or F6) to load SCSI drivers when quickly prompted by XP setup programme?
  • barginboyrob
    Options
    Hi, yes, i checked the contents of the floppy disk on this computer (old computer) and it all seems fine. The floppy disk shows that the m5289.sys file is on it. And i used 2 different formatted floppy disks (though both were old)

I am getting the error (cannot find m5289.sys file) straight after i choose which partition to install windows xp pro to.
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    Options
    Even though it may be shown it could be corrupt do another floppy
    its just a sure way, and if you download the file for the floppy install
    make sure before you copy it to a floppy, just right click the file
    then choose properties and unblock it if ness, P.S just copy the
    files over, no folders or zipped stuff.
  • barginboyrob
    Options
    Maybe i try downloading the file instead of getting the motherboard to make the diskette.

Now how do i find the file!............
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Go to the website for the manufacturer of your motherboard. It should have a download section where you can get any drivers you need.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • barginboyrob
    Options
    maybe if i try putting the files on CD and seeing if it finds it there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure