We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Gas nightmare

Can anyone help as I'm worried sick here, moved into flat, phoned Bg to give my details THREE times, basically they didn't want to know. I offered meter reading - not interested and didn't want to start account for me cos I hadn't had gas in my name before even though I wanted to start a standing order. Thought someone would be in touch - never did. Then got letter from transco saying meter unregistered, argued with BG then got sent a contract and written confirmation of standing order. No action taken by Bg - no money taken. All other utilities running perfectly and all paid for. Flat left empty only used occasionally as moved in with boyfriend. Then got letter from Xoserve - tried Bg again you guessed it, no record of our previous correspondence at all. Someone would be in touch...never did. Gas turned off at meter. A year goes by and I want to let the flat so..tried Of gas - they said meter registered to British gas, tried Energy watch - said meter unregistered, tried Nat grid - said meter unregistered. Tried BG yep you guessed it - I've done right things but am worried re huge bill..help:eek:

Comments

  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,075 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    If you haven't been billed they can only go back 12 months; so from whenever BG(or another supplier) decide to bill you you will only pay for the previous year.
  • Many thanks for your help. Would anyone have an idea how i could get a gas supplier to take on this account as i dont seem to exist on anyones database ?
  • Andy_Hamilton
    Andy_Hamilton Posts: 660 Forumite
    Many thanks for your help. Would anyone have an idea how i could get a gas supplier to take on this account as i dont seem to exist on anyones database ?
    Why would you want to go on the books? Your getting free gas and will probably get away with it for years unless your meter goes wrong. Take meter readings every month and you can show these if you ever get caught (only showing 1 year)

    Charge your renter a flat fee for gas.

    If you really want to sort it I think transco should be able to help more.
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.