PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do i make my own chicken stock?

Options

Comments

• fertyskids
    Options
    Hi i wondered if anyone could help.

I want to make hom,emade chicken stock for my family. but i need some help (im vegetarian!!!).

Do i put the bones, skin and left over meat in water? How much water?

Dop i add anything else? Herbs or veg?

How much cooking time? i have a slow cooker or is this best done in a pan?

I have heard of people making their own stock/soup but i cannot remember the details. sorry if i sound a bit dumb!!

Thanks

Fertyskids.
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi fertyskids. Big up to you for catering for meat eaters when it must be very distasteful for you!

Put all the chicken in a pan with about a pint of water, a chopped carrot, a chopped onion and anything else that needs using up. Add salt and a grind of pepper and a bouquet garni if you have one, or just put in a pinch of whatever dried herbs you have.

Bring it to the boil and simmer for a couple of hours, or better still put it in the slow cooker on low for about 8-10 hours. Strain it well and pick out all the little bit of chicken from the bones and add them to the stock. Simple as that!

HTH. Good luck. JJ
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use one similar to this. You can just use thyme instead of the parsley.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/chickenstock_1294.shtml
  • bandraoi
    bandraoi Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Options
    I usually just boil up the bones, anything else I can add later when I turn it into soup.
  • fertyskids
    Options
    Thanxs so much. the advice really is helful.

Chicken bones, meat and skin are now in the slow cooker with some water, salt and pepper and a few herbs chucked in for measure. When its cooked how do i drain all the little bits out and do i need to skim off the fat or does it make it taste better?

Thanks Fertyskids
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Options
    I just pour the finished stock through a sieve; if you let it cool down then refridgerate it you'll find that the fat solidifies and it's much easier to remove. I wouldn't worry about getting every last little bit of fat out as a small amount makes it taste richer. You can use the chicken fat instead of oil for roasting potatoes or instead of butter for making dumplings, it gives a lovely flavour but obv. as you're veggie it's up to you. Well done for making stock when you can't eat it - it's really thrifty and I think it's best to use every last bit of the animal rather than wasting it! :T
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    fertyskids wrote: »
    how do i drain all the little bits out and do i need to skim off the fat or does it make it taste better?
    Get a great big bowl, set a colander in it and pour the contents of slow cooker into the colander. I leave the fat in -it's good for you -wards off infection and colds and all sorts.

When I make stock which I do frequently, I always put in an onion, a carrot, a leek and a couple of celery sticks.

I use all the bones I can salvage, yes, including those my family have chewed! It all gets a good boiling;)

When the stock has chilled it may well set like jelly. This is a Good Thing -it means the stock is rich in gelatine.

By the way bone stocks like this are very good for you because of the calcium they contain from the bones. To help the bones release as much calcium as possible put a couple of teaspoons of vinegar in the stock and leave for 30 mins before bringing up to the boil. You won't taste the vinegar.
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't worry about taking the fat out either, it all adds flavour! :cool:
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    I'll add this to the existing chicken stock thread ;)

There's also chicken stock in a slow cooker :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • leiela
    leiela Posts: 443 Forumite
    Options
    Ok im trying i really am... trying to save money trying to make the most i have .... but im not exactly the domesticate godness

I've just done a chicken for lunch, typical roast having eaten it i still have the remaining chicken carcass.

Now the old me would pick off any meat that was left and give it to the cat, throwing out the bones, but something tells me there is a better OS way of dealing with it.

Now i've learn't enough to know that i could make a stock, but i have no idea where to start??? can anyone fill me in?? Also would would i do with said stock if i made it??!!

Also it was quite a big chicken so there is a fair amount of meat left, not enough for a meal i don't think but it's a very meaty carcass is there anything better than stock i can make??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure