We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

I've made a mpg improvement with an aftermarket chip. Surprised.

tomstickland
tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
I generally have a low opinion of engine chip "upgrades", having seen rolling road tests with no gains or losses and increased fuel consumption.

In February there was a cheap deal on BMW engine Evolve chips. £30 for a chip, and I was told that it was worth it. Being cynical I decided to buy one and test it on a rolling road back to back with the std chip.
Well, I haven't got round to testing it on the rolling road yet, but did do the swap when we were bored in a slack day on our 'ring trip.

The new chip raised the rev limit from 6,500 to over 7,000rpm. It seemed to make the car pull a little bit better over the whole rev range. Nothing startling, but a detectable slight improvement.

However, I suspected that I was getting more mpg with the chip in.

The engine is a BMW M42 1.8 16v, book figures 136bhp.
I did a measured run today. 280 miles at 80-85 on a motorway. It used 35 litres ,which works out as 36mpg. This is a 3-4mpg improvement over the std chip.

I'm impressed.
Happy chappy
«134

Comments

  • balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    at 4mpg more, you'll make your £30 back very soon.

    let me guess .... you havent told your insurance company!!! :rolleyes:
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    I had my 1.8 Turbo Audi A4 chipped from 150bhp to 180bhp and it gave me masses more mid range power and slightly better fuel consumption too...

    And no, I never told my insurance company either.

    I'd just tell them it always was a nippy car...
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    I'm sorry but a 3-4MPG difference is achievable by anyone just by modifying their driving or the driving conditions allowing them to do less slowing and accelerating. Most of these so called improvements end up being down to the driver altering their driving even though they don't realise it.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Conor wrote: »
    I'm sorry but a 3-4MPG difference is achievable by anyone just by modifying their driving or the driving conditions allowing them to do less slowing and accelerating. Most of these so called improvements end up being down to the driver altering their driving even though they don't realise it.


    HE IS A !!!!!!!
    ...work permit granted!
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Cheap speed is good,we arent all as slow as conor,my last post suggested he masturbates.
    ...work permit granted!
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Many of these "chips" are just resistors that wire to some of the sensors and are in fact cost a matter of pence, hence why ebay is full of them. Isn't the best way on most modern cars an ECU re-map?
  • kitchpoo
    kitchpoo Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    anewman wrote: »
    Many of these "chips" are just resistors that wire to some of the sensors and are in fact cost a matter of pence, hence why ebay is full of them. Isn't the best way on most modern cars an ECU re-map?


    Remap or tuning box produce better results than a resistor style tune, but a piggyback chip can be equivilant if it is not resistor based.

    I'm running (and declared) a PBox tuning box on a 3.0 CDTi engine, it alters the fuel delivery to each cylinder by altering the injectors individually. The result is rasied the torque and bhp and mpg considerably.
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

    There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    HE IS A !!!!!!!

    Really? A recent TV programme managed more than a 10% increase with a driving course and a 40% increase just by servicing the vehicle.

    I've done an economical driving course through one of my former employers. Even though it was aimed at HGVs, I get quite high MPG out of my cars. 55-58MPG out of my Mondeo and 37MPG out of my Capri when others in my club are lucky to be getting 30MPG out of theirs.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Cheap speed is good,we arent all as slow as conor,my last post suggested he masturbates.

    Slow eh? Faster than most of the wessies and comforts going back home after a day trip to Bridlington seeing as I spend half my time on the A614 on the wrong side of the road overtaking them all.

    And having to resort to swearing eh? Last resort of a person who has no argument and a little brain.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,625 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    and as pointed out, totally invalidates your insurance
    Ex forum ambassador

    Long term forum member
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.