We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

bank error in favour

Options
2»

Comments

• Meltdown_2
    Meltdown_2 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    8% x £350 x 0.67 yr = £18 interest (approx)
    Will the OP be returning this to Abbey?

If the OP was originally confused by expecting an expenses payment of about £350 at the time this money arrived in his/her account, why did they not notice when they did receive the expenses payment?
    Imprudent granting of credit is bound to prove just as ruinous to a bank as to any other merchant.
    (Ludwig von Mises)

• ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whilst what they did was completely legal it was unfair and not very good customer service. A quick call or letter prior to the taking back of the cash would seem logical.
    But then again the days when banks were remotely interested in customers or customer services are LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG gone. They (in common with most big companies) see us as a pot of money nothing more.

The more examples I see of current banking practices the more I say it is essential to check your bank accounts daily with a fine toothcomb so you know when things like this occur.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    Whilst what they did was completely legal it was unfair and not very good customer service. A quick call or letter prior to the taking back of the cash would seem logical.
    I've had money debited twice from a direct debit reclaimed into my current account. Nationwide wrote me a letter giving me 10 days notice before they reclaimed one lot of the money, which was theirs.
    But then again the days when banks were remotely interested in customers or customer services are LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG gone. They (in common with most big companies) see us as a pot of money nothing more.
    I use to be a Natwest customer in the past and their service was so awful I left. I've found building societies (not ones that use to be building societies like Abbey) seem to provide a better service when operating current accounts. However now they to seem to have caught up on the banks act and want to try and sell you things.

The more examples I see of current banking practices the more I say it is essential to check your bank accounts daily with a fine toothcomb so you know when things like this occur.

If a bank's service is poor you need to vote with your feet and move elsewhere i.e. open up another current account and start paying your wages into and then remove your direct debits over yourself. No bank/building society is 100% perfect but it's how they treat you when you have an issue with them that makes the difference.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport