Can someone open a bank account at my address?

Options
I received a bank card through the post this morning, my address (obviously)
but the previous residents name (Over 2.5years ago)

Have they recently applied for this card purposely using my address?
Is it just a new card for an old account, but the address has never been changed?
Can she open credit cards or get loans if she has a financial tie to this house, somehow making me liable for her debt?

PLEASE HELP!!:mad:
I'm getting older, and lifes getting harder!:mad:

Comments

• m.colak
    m.colak Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    hi send the contents of the envelope back to the bank with a covering letter saying that unfortunately the person no longer lives at this address and they need to contact the person to find their new address. Also in the mean time you would like all references to this address linked via this account to be removed. I would also check your credit file with experian who have a linked addresses section of your credit report and will tell you if they have been doing anything else like this.
  • A_little_stressed!!
    Options
    I rang them, but they were a bit useless couldn't tell me much because of security reasons. I suggested taking it to the bank, with ID of who I am and getting more answers that way.

Two big issues are, her initials are the same as mine and surname V.similar!!!
    And her family said something might pop through the post for her soon!!
    I also had car insurance policy through 6 months ago, but they said she had since rung up to change the details.

I'm really annoyed as I've spent ages building up a credit rating, from 2 years ago not being allowed any credit cards, to now having a £2000 limit on a 0% card.
    I will be needing a business loan in a few years so need to protect myself!!
  • barnabee
    barnabee Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know you haven't said in your posts that you have opened the envelopes, but did you know that it was an offence to do so?
  • A_little_stressed!!
    Options
    I thought it was for me.

I'm not going to use my real name here, but here is an example;

My name is Ms A B Jones

My son lives with me and has his fathers surname Joneston making him Master J T Joneston

the letter was addresses to

Ms A B Joneston

I presumed it was a letter for me about my son (eg. playgroup/Drs etc)

To be honest I open the post with my son as a game so we rip it apart pretty quick without paying much attention to the front.

But surely if it is my address and I have lived here over 2.5years I can open anything?
  • king100
    king100 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Options
    From the Postal Services Act 200084Interfering with the mail: general(1)A person commits an offence if, without reasonable excuse, he—(a)intentionally delays or opens a postal packet in the course of its transmission by post, or(b)intentionally opens a mail-bag.(2)Subsections (2) to (5) of section 83 apply to subsection (1) above as they apply to subsection (1) of that section.(3)A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.(4)Subsections (2) and (3) of section 83 (so far as they relate to the opening of postal packets) apply to subsection (3) above as they apply to subsection (1) of that section.(5)A person who commits an offence under subsection (1) or (3) shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both
    The question is how will they know that you have opened it?
    I all have learnt is from others on many sites.
    Seek legal help if unsure.
    Dont pay Private Parking tickets - they are mere invoices.

PRESS THANKS
    }
  • m.colak
    m.colak Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    king100 wrote: »
    From the Postal Services Act 200084Interfering with the mail: general(1)A person commits an offence if, without reasonable excuse, he—(a)intentionally delays or opens a postal packet in the course of its transmission by post, or(b)intentionally opens a mail-bag.(2)Subsections (2) to (5) of section 83 apply to subsection (1) above as they apply to subsection (1) of that section.(3)A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.(4)Subsections (2) and (3) of section 83 (so far as they relate to the opening of postal packets) apply to subsection (3) above as they apply to subsection (1) of that section.(5)A person who commits an offence under subsection (1) or (3) shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both

king100 i agree what you saying but its also an offense to register accounts and products and an address which is not your own which constitutes fraud. If she hadn't open the envelope she wouldn't have known. I say again check your credit file as it might tell you if anything is a miss. Secondly if you have been there for 2.5 years you shouldn't be receiving mail from the previous owner (again fraud). I would again suggest you don't bother phoning the banks just send it back with a note attached saying the person no longer lives there. Secondally if a member of the family phones again tell them that from now on all mail arriving at your address if wrong will be sent back to the relevant company with Person doesn't live here annotated and If it persists you will be seeking legal action.

I only say this as a person two doors down has registered a company at our address by mistake. The first time we accepted a package on behalf of her. The second letter was from company house about the registration of the said company. The person has put there house on the market and i'll be dammed if they do a runner and i end up with their angry customers.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    king100 wrote: »
    (3)A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.

As there would have been no intention to act to a person's detriment, no offence was committed.
  • A_little_stressed!!
    Options
    I think anyone seeing me as in the wrong in this situation is insane!!
    Also I'm glad I did open it to find this out!

She is commiting alot more serious a crime! (It could be intentional!)

I took the card and some proof if ID down to the bank to make them block the connection to my address. The account now has her name, but no address.

I think I will do this at all banks and do my credit check.

I
  • laurliemonkey
    laurliemonkey Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    if anything comes to your address in that name again i would write to the bank and inform them they are breaking the data protection act by not keeping her details accurate. i have a similar problem with debt collection agencies hounding my address (it seems like everyone who has lived here in the past few years has racked up loads). they won't have a go at you for opening it generally, (in my case it was regarded as protecting my property).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure