We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Average Hourly Usage

chouchoutan
chouchoutan Posts: 30 Forumite
Hi there.

We've just bought an energy usage monitor and when the bare minimum of stuff is on (ie - just before we go out the door or at night) our usage is at about 2.6p per hour (unless the freezer kicks in). Can anyone let me know what their minimum usage is so I can compare.

Thanks.

ETA - that's at 9.95p per unit I think.

Comments

  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,075
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    2.6p an hour equates to approx 250 watts which is huge if you have nothing running.

    Something substantial is consuming power! What about the fridge?
  • chouchoutan
    chouchoutan Posts: 30 Forumite
    Well - we do have quite a few things running 24\7:

    American style fridge\freezer
    Oven and microwave have LED clocks
    Fish tank pump
    TV\DVD\surround sound\digital TV box\wii all on standby
    Cordless phone (2 handsets) on charge
    TV and another digital TV box on standby upstairs
    Digital radio
    Alarm clock
    Broadband cable modem and wireless router

    That's it I think. I know there's a lot of stuff, hence the large energy bills and buying the meter to try and sort it out. We did have 2 PC's and a printer and monitor (on standby) on 24\7 as well but that's stopped! We've also got one of the plug in things that will monitor usage over a longer period and will try that on the fridge\freezer first I think.

    I didn't think 2.6p\hour was that bad- works out at £4.37 per week for running the bare minimum which doesn't seem a lot. Or have I got my maths wrong?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,075
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    You would do well to use the plug in power meter so you can monitor what is consuming the power.

    Is the fish pump combined with a heater? Was the fridge running?

    Leaving out the Fish pump and freezer the standby consumption of those items should not be more than(typically) 20-30 watts so there is 200+ watts you need to find.
  • chouchoutan
    chouchoutan Posts: 30 Forumite
    Many thanks Cardew - will get the meter up and running tonight and check things over the weekend to try and track down those pesky 200W.

    Will update on Monday.
  • mute_posting
    mute_posting Posts: 810
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OP

    I have the wattson meter and the average "background" (i.e. over say 6 hours whilst the house is empty or overnight) at my folks house (where I first tried it) was about 500w. That is for:

    Couple of servers
    printer, router and other IT gubbins on standby
    Laptop usually on standby
    various digital displays (i.e. microwave, cooker) and alarm clocks
    3 or 4 tv/sky/freeview setups on standby
    frinde (x2) & freezer (x2)
    3 or 4 11w CFL's
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • PrinceGaz
    PrinceGaz Posts: 139 Forumite
    Crikey, when I'm out and my PC is powered down (which it is unless I want to record something on TV), my electric consumption is only about 30 watts-- used by a variety of low consumption odds and sods like the phone, and insect-killer, a TV set-top box, computer scanner, the computer itself (as even when turned off, they consume a little power unless the power-supply at the back is switched off or it is unplugged), etc. My fridge averages out at about 0.6KWh/day, which is equivalent to a constant 25 watts, so my total power usage when asleep or out with no lights or heating on is roughly 55 watts- which at 10p/unit would be only 0.55p/hour.
  • mute_posting
    mute_posting Posts: 810
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    Crikey, when I'm out and my PC is powered down (which it is unless I want to record something on TV), my electric consumption is only about 30 watts-- used by a variety of low consumption odds and sods like the phone, and insect-killer, a TV set-top box, computer scanner, the computer itself (as even when turned off, they consume a little power unless the power-supply at the back is switched off or it is unplugged), etc. My fridge averages out at about 0.6KWh/day, which is equivalent to a constant 25 watts, so my total power usage when asleep or out with no lights or heating on is roughly 55 watts- which at 10p/unit would be only 0.55p/hour.
    The 2 servers are the biggest culptits in my list above
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • the biggest thing id be worried about is leaving dvd players wii's tv's on standby
    not a lot you can do about led clocks on microwave and stuff unless you switch off microwave at the wall
    but your energy provider should have a department to help you with this
    they should be able to tell you what appliances use the most electric and how much they are costing you
    call your electricity companies cust services line and ask to be directed from there
    hope this helpsbiggrin.gif
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.