We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

HSBC Additional Card Holder

Options
Hi everyone,

I've had long trawl through all the posts on here & there seems to be conflicting info so figured it was worth asking the question (probably again)

I have not had a credit card for nearly 4 years & my CRF leaves a lot to be desired. Going on holiday at end of May & want to be able to hire a car. My sis has offered to add me as an aditional card holder to her HSBC card so that I can use it for this purpose. They have sent through a form (which I wasn't expecting tbh) asking for all my personal details (fair enough), bank details & employment details. In the small print it says they have right to decline the application.

Have double checked rest of T&C & am confused about whether by adding me we will (a) become financially associated & (b) they will credit check me. Because my CRF leave lot to be desired, I don't want us to become associated.

I thought that applying to be an additional cc holder did not associate you & they didn't credit check you but was I wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to think that being an additional card holder didn't require a credit check nor does it create a financial link.
    However, there have been several threads on these boards recently that seem to show the sometimes this is not true.
    There is a risk here that you will damage your sister's credit rating.

Why don't you apply for a card for people with poor credit ratings.. OK the APR will be sky high but if you pay in full that won't matter.
  • goonerbird
    goonerbird Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for that Clapton

There's just too much conflicting info on here & online that I just don't want to take the risk!

Have application for Cashplus, but bit of faff to gte car hiring bit of it authorised & as usual haven't left myself enough time before I go away to make sure that it all goes through!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport