We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Timing Belt
Hi, just had my 2002 Punto repaired at Arnold Clark. They wrote on the invoice the timing belt should be changed either at 5 years or 72000 miles. The car is now 5 1/2 years old and done 48000 miles. I only do approx 8000 miles p.a. as it is really just for getting to and from work. I have had the car since new and i am just wondering how important it is to get it replaced. With the mileage I am really wondering how quickly this should be done. Any experts out there?
cheers.
cheers.
0
Comments
-
Hi, just had my 2002 Punto repaired at Arnold Clark. They wrote on the invoice the timing belt should be changed either at 5 years or 72000 miles. The car is now 5 1/2 years old and done 48000 miles. I only do approx 8000 miles p.a. as it is really just for getting to and from work. I have had the car since new and i am just wondering how important it is to get it replaced. With the mileage I am really wondering how quickly this should be done. Any experts out there?
cheers.
Yes, get it changed ASAP. There have been other posts on here about cars that have experienced timing belt failure - on most cars it causes serious damage to the engine if it goes. Better safe than sorry.0 -
Is this the same thing as the 'cam' belt, or am I being thick? If it is, then it's quite important to have it replaced when it's due. If it snaps whilst the engine is running, apparantly ( and I've had this happen to me ) the valves drop unsupported, at the same velocity they were going before it snapped. (Hope that makes sense ) and cause damage to the component parts they make contact with inside. I was unwittingly lucky in that the car I had was an old Cavalier GSI and was one of the few that didnt cause that much damage when it happened.0
-
thanks. I wasn't sure so I'll get it seen to.0
-
Hi,
It should be replaced at about 55k miles but as you have had it 5 1/2 years the time is just as bad as the rubber will deteriate over time. Don't be in any mad rush to replace it but I would see to it soon. Its a fairly labour intensive job so I would shop around for quotes and try the smaller non main dealer garages. Often the water pump is replaced at the same time as they will have everything off anyway.0 -
Cam and timing belt are the same thing. The belt turns the cams to ensure that the valves open and close in time.
If it snaps or slips then the results can be catastrophic for the engine. At low speed (happened to me in a 16v Vauxhall Corsa) it damaged 8 valves and cost me £700.
I've now got a 3.2 Alfa Romeo and reports from people who've had there's snap are from £1000 up to just buy a new engine.
Don't try and scrimp and save when it comes to getting the belts done. Just do it as it may save you a fortune in the future.0 -
I've now got a 3.2 Alfa Romeo and reports from people who've had there's snap are from £1000 up to just buy a new engine.
I use to specialise in these....you must worry every time you turn the key.
The last 3.2 i did cost the owner £2.0k.!!!
Anyway as mentioned change the belt as soon as convenient.
The punto is quite an easy job compared to some.'Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship'. -Benjamin Franklin.0 -
Better to be safe than sorry...and hugely out of pocket. If the timing belt goes, the valves in the engine can easily be damaged which can lead to a big repair bill.
I learnt from painful personal experience! The cambelt on my Alfa Romeo 147 went and to get all the associated damage repaired cost £1,200! Thankfully, my warranty covered it...but my car dealer (who had to cover the cost of repair) was none too happy!'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it....for much longer!'0 -
thanks everyone. I called a local garage I have used a few times before and they have said approx £140 fitted - much cheaper than future repair costs!!!0
-
im getting mine changed today
the car is now 7 years old but i have just done 51000 miles
altghough i risked it, im glad im changing it today0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards